Seas of Peonies


This past Sunday, Kenny and I made our way back to the peony farm we visited last summer, and it was so much fun! Flowers are one of my favorite things, so being surrounded by zillions of fluffy, voluminous peony blooms is basically my version of heaven.


If you're asking yourself, "did she really wear that dress to the peony fields just to match with them?" yes, yes she did. I had just gotten it in a couple of days before, and I thought it would be the perfect thing to wear! I would say this dress is true to size, but if you're between sizes the smaller size would probably fit best. I'm wearing it in an extra small here and it just fits. I also got it in a small to try, but the small was a little large around the ribs to the point that it was unflattering. 


While this dress is beautiful, I do have an issue with it - it is so hard to get on! It doesn't have a zipper, so the only way in is to unbutton and re-button the teeny buttons that line the front of it, which isn't super easy if you don't have help, especially since the bodice is fitted. The dress is really well made and a great price, so honestly it would be worth it to buy it a size up and have a tailor alter it to fit it to your body and add a zipper to the back or one of the sides to make it easier to get in and out of.


Back this year by (my) popular demand: this straw hat! You've probably seen the Brixton Joanna hat on pretty much every blogger at this point, but it really is a great piece. Mine has a nude ribbon and I can't find that version in stock, but there are several colorways available this year, including the classic straw with a black ribbon. For something similar at an even better price point, try this boater hat (styled here!)


I wish you could smell these beauties, I have a bouquet of them still looking wonderful in my office, and they fill the whole room with their delicate fragrance.


I love these two iPhone photos, but portrait mode did me dirty erasing part of the stem of the peony I'm smelling. 😂 If you see this on Instagram, don't say anything!!


Kenny and I had a really great weekend and did tons of fun things outside of going to the peony field -  I didn't get to do any sort of recap on Monday, so I wanted to take some time to do that in this post! I've mentioned this before, but my job runs on an adjusted schedule in the summertime during which we work an extra hour Monday through Thursday in order to get off at noon on Fridays, and this past Friday was my first half day! In the late afternoon after my mom got off of of work, I headed over to my parents' house and made up a little assortment of snacks and my mom and I enjoyed some wine and snacks on the deck because it was beautiful out. When my dad and Kenny got off work, we all hung out for a while and then Kenny and I walked downtown for a rooftop dinner at one of our favorite spots to go in the summertime. After dinner we went on a walk and it was so nice!



On Saturday Kenny went to Richmond for a local music festival, so I hung around the house for half the day and then went back over to my parents' house to hang out with them and my brother. My mom and I made drinks and walked around the yard to see how all of her plants were doing, which I always love! Later that night, my dad and I watched Something's Gotta Give because we had never seen it and it was so cute! I had no idea what it was about so it was definitely unexpected, but Nancy Meyers can do no wrong. I want to live in Erica Barry's house from the movie!!



On Sunday, we had yet a third day of amazing summer weather, so Kenny and I sat outside on the deck for a while in the morning and I read some of my book that I've been working on. Then we headed to the peony farm because it was supposed to be peak weekend, and rain was coming during the week, and it was just as beautiful as last year! After seeing the peonies, we went to Staunton and did some shopping at TJ Maxx and rode out a summer rainstorm, then headed downtown to grab some dinner. Kenny's mom met up with us, and then after we ate the storm clouds had rolled out and the sun was back so Kenny and I went on a little evening walk downtown and it was SO lovely. We had the best weekend, and I look forward to a summer full of weekends just as fulfilling!

xoxx, Laura

This post contains commissionable links.
 

No comments