Favorite Drugstore Lipstick Shades


Happy Monday! Today I'm sharing a post that I've been wanting to put together for a long time: my favorite drugstore lipstick shades! The range of lipstick shades I wear on a regular basis is relatively limited, and I wear about a 50/50 split of drugstore and higher end brands, but I really think that the drugstore has everything you need these days when it comes to shade range.


Most of the lipsticks I wear regularly are on the deep-neutral side, mostly with cool and mauvey undertones because those look best with my skin tone. I will go into more detail on each of the shades I'm featuring below! I got most of these at Target, but they're also available at Walmart and Ulta as well as on Amazon.


I have eight lipsticks to share today, and I'm grouping them by finish: matte or satin. The swatches above were both taken in natural light to try and show the truest color for each of the shades, the one on the left was closer to a window and the one on the right was a little farther away.

Mattes

Maybelline Nude Nuance: This is my go-to lip shade! I wear it far more often than any other, I even wore it on my wedding day. It's a deep nude that I consider comparable to MAC Whirl, which I wear interchangeably with this one. It appears to have reddish undertones, but it looks pretty neutral on my skin tone.

Maybelline Mauve It: This one is a true deep mauve! It's still wearable as a neutral, but has purple tones in it.

Maybelline Brown Blush: This is another purple-toned deep nude. In the swatches, this one looks very similar to Mauve It, but in person it's a bit darker. Again, still wearable as a neutral even though it's got some "color" to it! This one is especially great for fall time when you want something a little vampy, but not too dark.

Milani Secret: This is the newest drugstore lipstick I've been using, it's a nice peachy nude. I tried it originally because it's supposed to be a dupe for the ever-popular Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk lip shade. This one looks different depending on your skin tone, it pulls pink on my lips. In person, this one looks lighter in person than it does in the swatch above whereas they others look pretty true to color. The formula is a very luxe, velvety matte and I saw Tati Westbrook compare it to Pat McGrath's matte lipstick formula, which is amazing!

Satins

Maybelline Nude Lust: This is a creamy, satin formula, which I really appreciate for a lighter nude lipstick because light nudes are notorious for giving that horrible "butthole lips" effect (sorry, but it's true). This is a true nude without any peachy or pinky undertones, which I really appreciate because I have such a hard time finding a nude lipstick that doesn't skew orange on my skin tone. I truly think this is the best light nude lipstick I've ever worn, higher-end brands included.

Maybelline Touchable Taupe: This is a beautiful cooler-toned nude that doesn't give you that corpse bride look that many greige-y cool-toned lipsticks can cause.

Maybelline Crazy For Coffee: This one is quite similar to Nude Nuance, but with a slightly more sheer finish from the satin formula.

Revlon Fire and Ice: I originally got this one to compare to Nars Heatwave (which I think has since been discontinued). They are definitely comparable, but this one has more hot cherry tones while the Nars one has more orange tones. Very similar though! For the price, I'd go with this one - it's a great red for spring and summertime.


xoxx, Laura

SHOP THE POST:


This post contains commissionable links.

No comments