Happy Hour: The Bramble

Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing my take on one of my very favorite cocktails: the gin bramble. When it comes to cocktails, if it has gin and citrus, chances are I'll love it. This cocktail has both, and not much else. The first time I tried it, it instantly ranked among my favorite cocktails. I'm not sure where I first heard of it - I've never seen it on a menu at a bar or restaurant (which adds to my dream of opening a cocktail bar SLASH vegan restaurant one day so I can share all of my uncommon favorites!)

I posted about this cocktail over a year ago, but I thought I'd write an updated post on it because I've tweaked the recipe I originally used to my taste, and I think it's just perfect. It's heavy on fresh lemon juice which makes it super tart, but a hint of blackberry liqueur and honey simple take the edge off. It's such a great summertime cocktail, especially while blackberries are in season! Plus, it's super pretty - we all know aesthetics are just as important as flavor.


One of my favorite aspects of a cocktail is its ability to be customized. The recipe as I have it written is my favorite way to fix it up, but I provided options for alterations you can make to it to suit your taste. While this is a gin-based cocktail, I understand that not everyone cares for gin. You could also use vodka, although I urge you to use gin even if you think you don't like it! It adds such a good botanical flavor.

This is a small cocktail, so you're going to want a small glass and plenty of ice to serve it. I usually use a rocks glass. It's best served over crushed ice, but of course you can use "regular" ice too.

Last but not least, to go along with this cocktail is the featured song care of my mom, aptly revised to "Bramble On" for the occasion.

Ingredients

  • 2 oz Gin (use your favorite, I prefer Hendrick's. You could also use vodka if you're a gin hater, but I'll be judging you.) 
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced (approximately 1 oz) (best lemon juicer)
  • 2 barspoons honey (or sugar) simple syrup (more or less, to taste) 
  • 1/2 oz Chambord (or any blackberry or black raspberry liqueur) 
  • Ice for shaking, plus crushed ice for serving  
  • Lemon slice and blackberries for garnish

Directions

  1. Add the gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 30 seconds.
  2. Strain into a rocks glass over crushed ice.
  3. Slowly pour the 1/2 oz Chambord over the top of the drink. It will sink to the bottom in a pretty layer. 
  4. Garnish with the lemon and blackberries.

I hope you have a great weekend! I'm working from home today; since my organization only works til noon on Fridays in the summer, my boss told me to go ahead and keep working from home on Fridays, which is so nice. The more time at home with my kitty, the better!

xoxx, Laura

No comments