9 Ways to Style a Bandana Scarf

Outfit linked here

Believe it or not, this is a post that I've had drafted for over two years! Some of my very favorite accessories (especially for spring and summer) are bandana scarves, so I knew I had to finally get it posted. Printed square scarves are super fun, and just SO versatile! Once you think beyond only wearing them as actual scarves, you'll want to wear one in a different way every day. Scarves are having a moment right now, but they really are a timeless accessory that you'll be able to style forever.

Today I'm sharing my favorite ways to style a bandana-style scarf. These are styles I wear primarily in the spring and summer, but can be worn year round!

Image via

Image via

1. As a regular ole scarf: Let's get the obvious out of the way, of course you can style a scarf as a scarf! People usually associate neck scarves with cooler seasons, but one made of materials like satin, silk, and synthetics can be easily worn in the spring and summer since they're so lightweight. I like tying a scarf in a square knot for a polished little tie.

Image via

Image via

Image via

2. Headband:  This is a great way to style your dirty hair when you don't have time for much else.

Image via

Image via

Image via

Image via

3. Around a ponytail/bun: This is such an easy way to spice up an updo that doesn't take much time or effort.

Image via

Image via

4. In a braid: This is one way I've never styled a scarf, but I think it's so cute! It probably takes a little practice, but it's a unique style to mix things up when you're in a hair rut.

Image via

Image via

Image via

5. Tied onto a bag: Whenever I wear my straw tote bag in the summertime, I always tie a scarf to it! I love what it adds to an otherwise basic bag, and it serves as a statement accessory for any neutral or monochromatic outfit.

Image via

Image via

6. On your wrist: This is another style I've never tried, but it's a sweet, unique way to add a pop of color to a basic outfit. This would work well with smaller scarves that may not be long enough for some other styles.

Image via

Image via

Image via

7. As a belt: This is one of my favorite ways to style a scarf! I usually do it in the summertime, but I've also done it in the winter over sweater dresses. I use this method of folding a scarf into a long "belt" formation.

Image via

Image via

8. Untied: This is the most effortless way of throwing on a scarf! Just fold it a couple of times, drape it around your neck, and off you go.

Image via

Image via

9. As a bandana: This a great alternative for a hat on a day when your roots just shouldn't see the light of day. Plus, many Y2K trends are back and better than ever right now, and scarf bandanas fit right in. I love seeing people style scarves like this at the beach to keep their hair tamed in the wind!


I'll finish by sharing some of my favorite scarves to use for these styles. There are SO many gorgeous vintage options out there - two of my very favorite scarves I got at thrift stores for less than $5, and there are also TONS of preloved designer picks available at a reasonable price point. Amazon also has some beautiful options for under $10. I also love silk ones, which you can find at a pretty affordable price point.



xoxx, Laura

1 comment