Beach Vacation Essentials

Shorts (also here) | Scotch & Soda sweatshirt (current season options)


As you're reading this, I'm headed down to the Outer Banks for my family's beach trip! This is the second year in a row that we've taken a family beach trip (before that we hadn't been together since 2010 or 2011!) and I'm so excited. 


I've done "pack with me for the beach" posts in the past (here's last year's), but I honestly pretty much bring the same things every time I go on a beach trip. That being the case, today I thought I'd do something a little different and list out my beach vacation essentials! This is also helpful for me to visualize everything I'm going to need as I get packed. 😂 Let's get into it!


1. Shirt dresses
: I did a whole post on my current favorite shirt dresses a couple of weeks ago, and I'm re-linking some above. Shirt dresses are the easiest, most versatile throw-on-and-go dresses for summertime! They double as nice swimsuit cover ups, too.


2. One-piece swimsuits
: I have an updated post with all of my must-have swimsuits scheduled for next week! ALL of my current favorites are from Amazon and under $35. If I could only recommend one it would be this one - classic, flattering, true to size, has adjustable straps, and comes in a ton of colors.


3. Sun protection
: Besides sunscreen, we need protective clothing! Now that I'm approaching 30 I care more about practicality when it comes to protecting my skin than I do about looking silly (high school me would've never believed this 😂). Columbia fishing shirts with UPF have been my best friend for the past couple of summers - I like the mens ones because they're more oversized, just throw one on as a cover up. Besides fishing shirts, hats and sunglasses are a must. I love this straw hat, but baseball caps are more practical at the beach when it's windy. These cat eyes and aviators are my favorite affordable picks - I never bring pricey sunglasses to the beach!


4. Button up shirts
: Like shirt dresses, button up shirts are super versatile and a must for me on a beach vacation. Wear one as a cover up, or style one with a nice pair of linen shorts.


5. Flag sweater
: This one is very specific, but there's nowhere I love wearing my American flag sweater more than the beach - it's one of my coastal grandmother essentials! It's such a fun, East Coast Americana piece to wear on chillier evenings - I've worn mine on several sunset sails and it feels so right. 😍😂


5. Loungewear
: Sweat shorts and oversized sweatshirts are my go-tos - especially my The Bar sweatshirts!


6. Coastal accessories:
I LOVE a good raffia accessory in general, but especially for the beach. I always get complimented on my raffia bags! I also love bringing large square silk scarves because they're cute as belts over shirt dresses or tied onto a tote bag.


7. Linen essentials:
  Linen dresses are my throw-on-and-go faves, and you also can't beat mixing and matching a linen button down with pants or shorts - nothing's more resort-worthy than a matching set! Linen is the perfect texture and weight for a beach look.


8. Comfy shoes
: I typically bring three types of shoes to the beach: waterproof sandals for the BEACH beach, comfy "dressier" sandals for when we go out, and comfy sneakers for any activities we do.


Have a great weekend! I have some posts scheduled for next week while I'm gone, and then I'll talk to you again in real time the following week!


xoxx, Laura

This post contains commissionable links.

No comments