August Weekend Recap


Happy Monday, family! I had an outfit post planned today, but instead I decided to move it to Wednesday and post a good ole weekend recap to start off the week. I had a classic summer weekend, and it was so relaxing and fun.

Friday was my last "Summer Friday" at work for the season, so I worked 'til noon and then got ready and headed over to my parents' house to hang out with my mom, as is our usual Summer Friday tradition. My mom is a teacher so she's off in the summer, and this past Friday was her last day off of school for the summer so we decided to keep it low-key. My parents' yard is almost completely shady during the day because they have lots of trees, but the one place in the yard you can guarantee a few hours of afternoon sun is in the driveway. SO we pulled out some beach chairs and sat out in the driveway for a few hours. 😂



My parents' cat Monti (remember, the little stray that my dad found last summer??) is a total outside-lover these days, so we had a good laugh watching her running around hunting bugs, hiding in the plants, and rolling around in the dirt (a habit we're sure she learned from observing their dog, ha!)



Once 5:00 hit, I made us a little cheese tray and some cocktails - one of my favorites, the bramble. Please accept my Insta story boomerang screenshot as evidence. 😂 Once we lost the sun, we moved to the back deck and hung out with my dad once he got home from work. I always get eaten ALIVE by mosquitoes back there and stubbornly refuse to wear bug spray, but it was worth it! My mom walked me through some pieces of our family tree that I had never learned, and it was so interesting!

Outfit linked here

On Saturday morning, I got up and went on a really long walk which I don't normally do without Kenny, but it was really nice! I was partially motivated to get out first thing because I had just gotten in a new tennis skirt and I couldn't wait to wear it. I've lived in the same neighborhood for over five years and I went down streets I've never been on and saw houses I'd never seen which made for an interesting walk! I saw a house with a pumpkin on the porch already, so I'll be sure to avoid that block in the future because crazy people clearly live there. 😂


When I got back from my walk, I had some lunch and sat on the deck with Roxy girl. 😍 Isn't she cute in her little harness?! The weather this weekend was unseasonably cool (especially after the heatwave we experienced for the past couple of weeks) and while I prefer hot summer weather, it was really nice! Kenny ran a bunch of errands during the day Saturday, so I went back over to my parents' for a while to ONCE AGAIN sit out in the sun in the driveway with my mom and soak up one of her last few days before school starts up again.



If you've read my blog in summers past, then you know that my FAVORITE summer tradition is taking a family trip up to Reddish Knob to watch the sunset. We have always gone on the first day of summer, but this year everyone had too much going on and we couldn't make it work. I've still been wanting to go, so we had an abbreviated version of the trip on Saturday.





My dad was doing yard work over at his mom's house all evening and we couldn't get ahold of him before it was time to leave to make it up the mountain in time for sunset and my brother was at a wedding, so just Kenny and my mom and I went. It was different but still so much fun! There were more people up there than there usually are, I think everyone was taking advantage of the cooler weather! We had cheese and wine and took a bunch of silly pictures. 😂



On Sunday, my mom and I made a last-minute decision to enter some of our flowers in the county fair. My brother and mom and I used to plant a big garden at my grandparents' house every year growing up (with the help of my grandparents, of course!) and we would enter tons of flowers and vegetables in the fair. Those are hands-down some of my very favorite memories from growing up! In recent years we haven't had the huge garden, but my mom and I (especially my mom) still like to cultivate plants in our own yards. We headed over to the fair in the early afternoon to enter our specimens (haha) and we're planning on going back tonight to see what we won! You actually win money for each entry that gets a ribbon, so that's a fun perk.

Yesterday evening, Kenny and I met his mom for dinner because she's about to go to her home state of Massachusetts for a couple of weeks and she wanted to celebrate my birthday since she'll be missing it. We went to a local Japanese steakhouse that Kenny and I hadn't been to for probably five or six years but it was just as good as it's always been! I was a little reluctant to go because I find the Japanese steakhouse "show" kind of awkward, but it was fun. Kenny's mom gave me my birthday gift, a pair of Nike Air Max 90s that I've had my eye on all summer, which was so thoughtful! I'm sure she had some help from Kenny on that one. 😉

Overall it was a really great weekend, although it felt a little weird with the fall-like weather and the fact that I did a lot of things that I don't usually do, but that's not a bad thing! I'm just a total creature of habit and totally sensitive to any sort of change. 😂 I hope you had a fabulous weekend, and I'll see you back here on Wednesday (I PROMISE)!

xoxx, Laura

This post contains commisionable links.

No comments