May Favorites

Happy Monday, and happy June! June beginning always makes me so happy; it's the month that summer truly begins, and it contains the summer solstice which is always my favorite day of the year. For the past couple of years on the longest day of the year, my parents and I have packed some wine and cheese and gone up to Reddish Knob to watch the sunset, so I'm hoping that we do that again!

With a new month comes a new monthly favorites post! I didn't think I had that many favorites from May, but it turns out I have a lot! I have a few beauty things, some food, and some shows. I hope you enjoy!

  1. Babe Rosé: What's summertime without some bomb rosé?! I really enjoy this kind, and I love that it's in cans so that it's easy to transport, and you don't have to commit to an entire bottle if you only want a glass or two. Follow their Instagram too, it's hilarious. 
  2. Trader Joe's Watermelon Black Tea: I looked all over for this last summer and finally found it recently! I like making it iced with a touch of stevia.
  3. Neutrogena Lip Balm: This was a favorite of mine in high school (and maybe even middle school) but I kind of forgot about it. I saw it at Target recently and decided to repurchase it and I'm SO glad that I did! It's super juicy and delicious, and has SPF 20 which is awesome for wearing during the daytime, and especially during summer. I don't have a favorite shade, they're all pretty sheer so I don't see much of a difference.
  4. Nars Heat Wave: If you read this post or this post, you already know that I'm obsessed with this color for summer. It's definitely out of my comfort zone, but I think it's so fun with a more neutral outfit.
  5. OPI A Red-Vival City: This is my new favorite nail polish shade for summer! It's like cajun shrimp, but better.
  6. Philosophy Pure Grace Endless Summer: This is THE best summer perfume, it's fresh and delicious and citrusy but not sweet or too fruity. I got it last year and was a little sad that I loved it so much because I thought it was going to be limited edition, but it's still around this year so I have my fingers crossed that it's permanent.
  7. Panera Spicy Thai Salad: I've been getting this salad all the time, I replace the chicken with avocado to make it vegan, and add cucumber. I LOVE Panera's edamame blend that comes on it, I add it to any of their salads that I get. 
  8. Pita Chips: Just pita chips... I'm addicted and will eat as many as are put in front of me. Don't let me buy them ever again.
  9. This is Dan Bell: My dad and I are really interested in abandoned places and urban exploration, he has several books on it and especially loves Grossinger's Resort in the Catskills. I found Dan Bell's channel when I was watching some other abandoned exploration videos, and I've been going back and watching all of his old videos. They're not necessarily urban exploration, but I love his "Dead Mall Series" and "Another Dirty Room Series." In the Dead Mall Series videos, he explores malls that are essentially vacant, in foreclosure, or scheduled for demolition. It is SO creepy to me for some reason, it makes me feel weird in regular malls, haha! Another Dirty Room is just as hilarious as it is DISGUSTING. Basically he and his friends rent low-rated motel rooms and inspect them and it's unbelievable what strange and nasty stuff they find in these places!
  10. Bonding: If you're like me and have trouble committing to or sticking with a new show, then this one is for you! The episodes are less than 20 minutes long and you can EASILY watch the whole season all at once. This show is definitely raunchy, but the characters are lovable and it holds your interest.
  11. Dead to Me: This show didn't sound very good to me, but I ended up loving it! All of the actors do a great job, and it keeps you guessing. Like Bonding, this show isn't too much of a commitment because there's only one season (but it leaves you wanting more!)
My last favorite of the month I couldn't possibly lump in with the others because it's so special: a piece of art from my high school friend, Cameron! He is an art teacher by day, and and artist by night. He takes his work to art shows all across the east coast and has had great success selling his pieces. I had him paint a portrait of our dog, Riley, for my mom's birthday last year and it's absolutely perfect. My mom and I have both been feigning for an original piece of his work for ourselves, and when he announced that he was going to be selling a group of pieces on Facebook back in April, we knew we had to get our hands on some!


The piece I bought was one of seven skinny "slice" paintings. He told me that he began making them when he didn't like the way a piece was looking, so he would cut it up and turn each piece into a unique work. People really liked them, so he started doing them more. I had such a hard time picking which one I wanted! I love the lines and color palette on this one, and the teeny streak of coral.

Cameron doesn't name all of his pieces, mine just says "Slice 7" on the back, which is what I'm calling it. I'm planning on hanging it on a skinny wall next to the bar cart in my apartment, so I'll post photos once I do. My mom's piece is called "Pardon my English," which I love. Hers may be replacing the magnolia print you see in the background of the photo!

He gave us his business card which he designed with his work, and even a personalized thank you card! 

The pieces I was choosing between, mine is the third from the right
"Pardon my English," the painting my mom chose
I hope you have a great start to your week! I have a suspicion that it's gonna feel like a long one after the holiday last week. 😂

xoxx, Laura

No comments