Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Catalog Trends

Heyoo! I wanted to pop in today with an extra post on the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale catalog. I love flipping through fashion catalogs and magazines to see out-there, editorial outfit combinations. While I don't usually  see anything I'd actually wear in real life, they're fun inspiration for pairings that you may not think of on your own. What's more is that they serve as a projection of the trends for the upcoming season.

With the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (or "N Sale") coming up later in July, they released a catalog with a snapshot of some of the pieces that will be featured in the sale. Since the sale consists primarily of new fall arrivals, most of the models in the catalog are wearing layers, jewel tones, and heavy fabrics. (The N Sale is a huge deal in fashion blogging world, to the point where it can be exhausting to continue seeing so much content on it. I promise not to inundate you with N Sale posts for the next month and a half!)

While I can never say I'm excited for fall because summer is my SEASON, seeing all of these looks definitely has me excited for fall fashion. I noticed some trends while flipping through the catalog that I wanted to highlight, some are those that return year after year, and some are more unexpected.

Page 8
  1. Tweed: Incorporating tweed is a great way to send an outfit over the top. Contrary to most other pieces, I think that tweed is one thing that can't be "dressed down." If you're wearing tweed, you want to look classy, refined, and bossy. I think that wearing tweed with something casual like a graphic tee or sneakers dresses those pieces up rather than making the tweed piece more casual.

    Page 5
    Page 11
    Page 13
  2. Rust orange: This has to be my FAVORITE color for fall, so I'm so glad to see so many rust pieces throughout the catalog. I think that rust is a universally flattering shade, and a gorgeous jewel tone for the cooler months. Plus, who doesn't want to match a fall tree?

    Page 25
    Page 24
    Page 4
  3. Major layers: If you've ever opened an issue of Vogue, you've probably seen the weirdest and wildest combinations of pieces ever. While you'd probably stop and stare at someone on the street wearing outfits like that there is a way to reign in those crazy layers to make them wearable, and even office-friendly.

    Page 28
    Page 22
  4. Pattern mixing: The "severity" of pattern mixing waxes and wanes as years go by and styles change, but it would appear that we are in a major pattern mixing period. The juxtaposition of different patterns together can be done in a more understated way, but if you really want to make a statement, there are so many different wild combinations to flaunt.

    Pages 6-7
  5. Chunky, oversized knits: Sweaters seem to be getting thicker and more oversized every year. , and that's fine by me! My favorite cold-weather outfit has to be a wool skirt with a chunky, half-tucked sweater. Fun, non-fall colors are a great way to transition sweaters into the "_____ber" months. (You know, September, October, etc?? Ha!)

    Page 18
  6. Plaid: Plaid? For fall? Groundbreaking... Okay we already know, plaid is a fall staple. Everyone on earth has at least a couple of plaid flannels in their closet. This year however, I'm seeing more plaid outerwear and bottoms in less expected color combinations. And of course, the classic plaid shirts.

    Page 17
  7. Fall florals: Floral pieces in deeper earth tones are great for transitioning, and I'm seeing a lot of them this year. Personally, I'd wear more "fall" florals year round, but they're especially easy to style once it starts getting cooler out.

    Pages 30-31
  8. Animal prints: They're back, people! Or should I say, still here. Leopard print had a HUGE moment last fall, followed by zebra and snake print, and it doesn't look like animal prints are going anywhere anytime soon (even though I heard a stat recently that a 25% of men think that wearing leopard print is the worst fashion faux-pas a woman can make - sorry, boys!)
I hope you're having a great week so far! I'm a little stressed today with wedding details, BUT on the bright side, I'll be back here in the morning to share Kenny's and my engagement photos, and I'm super excited! See you then!

xoxx, Laura

No comments