Happy Hour: Watermelon Cooler

Let's cut to the chase: it's cocktail time! There's nothing quite like cutting open that first good watermelon of the summer. It's so fresh and juicy and I could probably eat an entire watermelon in a day if I had nothing better to do.

This year, I took my first watermelon of the season straight to the blender to create a simple, fresh, juicy cocktail that's sure to be a summer fave. 

This "simple" cocktail is actually somewhat labor-intensive. You have to blend and strain the watermelon in order to extract the juice, but trust me, it's totally worth it when you're sipping on your watermelon cooler.

This cocktail possesses all of my favorite elements: simple, fresh, citrusy, and not too sweet. It's also customizable to your tastes, and great for a group because you can make a big batch of watermelon juice at once, and the recipe is easily duplicated (or halved). You can also serve it virgin for any non-drinkers or kids!

Watermelon Cooler Cocktail

Makes 6 cocktails

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 seedless watermelon, diced (about 2 lbs) 
  • 3 limes (plus more for garnish)
  • 12 oz vodka of choice
  • 4 T flaky salt
  • 1/2 t chili powder
  • Simple syrup (optional)
  • Club soda (optional)

Tools: 

  • Blender or food processor
  • Sieve
  • Cheesecloth
  • Cocktail shaker 

To make the watermelon juice: 

Makes about 3 cups

  1. Dice the watermelon and puree it until it resembles a liquid (this should only take several seconds). 
  2. Line your sieve with cheesecloth and place over a liquid measuring cup or pitcher. Pour in the watermelon puree and let the liquid drain into the bowl, helping it along with a spoon if needed (you may have to do this in batches). Discard the pulp. 

To make individual cocktails: 

  1. In a shallow dish, stir together the salt and chili powder.
  2. Wet the rim of a glass with a lime wedge and dip it into the salt mixture. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
  3. In a cocktail shaker, combine:
    • 4 oz watermelon juice
    • Juice of 1/2 lime
    • 2 oz vodka
    • Simple syrup (to taste, if desired)
  4. Shake ingredients until thoroughly chilled. 
  5. Strain into glass and top with club soda if desired. Garnish with a slice of lime.

To make a large batch of cocktails: 

  1. In a pitcher, combine:
    • 3c watermelon juice
    • Juice of three limes
    • 12oz vodka
    • Simple syrup (to taste, if desired)
  2. In a shallow dish, stir together the salt and chili powder.
  3. Wet the rims your glasses with a lime wedge and dip them into the salt mixture. 
  4. Fill the glasses with ice and pour the cocktail mixture over the ice. 
  5. Top with club soda if desired. Garnish with a slice of lime.

Changing subjects, do you like my new look?! If you've stopped by since Wednesday you may have seen it already. I was getting sick of my default blogger template, so I upgraded to one that I purchased from a web designer. I've still got some tweaks to finish up, but I'm loving the new layout! Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on how to make it better.

I hope you have a grrrreat weekend! Kenny and I are going to be at a wedding all day tomorrow down in Roanoke for one of his family friends, and then on Sunday we (finally) have our engagement shoot! We're still deciding on where to have it (since when am I this loosey-goosey???) but the 2-3 options we're considering are sure to be gorgeous; I'm convinced that our photographer could make a landfill look glamorous.

xoxx, Laura

No comments