New Drugstore Self-Tanner Review

Happy Friday! Summer is almost here, so if you're pale AF like I am, read on! I've been dabbling in the self tanner world for several years now, and while I'm not constantly fake-baked, I like to bronze up before vacations, holidays, and special events during the summer months. I love trying new self tanners and don't have one specific favorite, so when I saw Emily Gemma recommend a new L'Oréal self tanner (formally called "L'Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Hydrating Self-Tanning Water Mousse"), I knew I had to give it a try!

The claims of the product are along the same lines of those of the St. Tropez Self Tan Purity Bronzing Water Mousse, but the L'Oréal version is $30 less expensive at $12 compared to $42 for the St. Tropez version (yikes). With that much of a price difference, I had to know if the drugstore version could measure up to the luxury one.

I tried it, I have my thoughts, so today I'm giving my review of the L'Oréal Self-Tanning Water Mousse, including photos of how it worked on me. (TLDR: I really like it!)

Pros

  1. Inexpensive: I got mine for $12 at Target which is the cheapest I've found it; I've seen it up to $15 at Ulta, which isn't bad either (plus it's eligible for all of their coupons).
  2. Easy to apply: I have experience with applying pretty much every form of self tanner, so the mousse concept was not new to me. However, I have not used a water mousse before. I found it extremely easy  to apply, and it didn't dry down too quickly for me to blend it in well.
  3. No self-tanner smell: I know you know what I mean. I don't mind the telltale self-tanner smell, but I know a lot of people who can't stand it, and I can assure you that this one doesn't have that smell. On the contrary, it has a really delicious beachy coconut smell just as it claims.
  4. No swamp monster-looking color guard: I know some people can brave the public with color-guarded self-tanner on, but I am not one of those people. When I use classic self-tanners with a color guard, I look totally splotchy and green. It's good for the application process to make sure that you haven't missed a spot, but once you're done you really can't brave the light of day without being confused for Shrek. This one is not that way; since it's totally clear, you can throw it on and go about your day. Easy!
  5. Doesn't transfer: The first time I applied this, I wore white leggings (eek!) right afterwards, and got hardly any transfer. I could see a tiiiny bit of transfer from where I had pulled them on, but nothing crazy, and it washed out just fine. I also wore a light yellow shirt and got no transfer onto that.
  6. Doesn't streak: This shocked me! I was super nervous while applying this since it didn't have a color guard because I couldn't tell if I was missing spots. I took extra care blending it in because no matter how careful I am with other self-tanners, I always get a little bit of sketchy orangeness around my ankles and feet. I did not have a single streak or orange spot with this self tanner! It was SO easy, and I don't think I did any "better" of a job applying it than I usually do. It also didn't patch up around my elbows, knees, or feet, which are usually problem areas (and I did not take the extra step of moisturizing those areas to prevent it, either).
  7. Good color: The color is the perfect natural bronze, no fake orange glow. 
  8. Lasts: I shave and exfoliate sparingly when I have self-tanner on just to help it last longer, and I'd say this lasted about a week, so the staying-power holds up to higher-end self-tanners.
  9. Fades evenly: I don't usually have issues with uneven fading of self-tanners, but I thought I'd mention that this one faded evenly and didn't stick to my elbows, knees, or ankles as it wore off.

Cons

  1. Doesn't dry down: I left the tanner on for a total about 24 hours (don't judge me) and it never fully dried down. It doesn't particularly bother me, but I know a lot of people can't stand that sticky feeling so I wanted to mention it. It doesn't stay crazy sticky by any means, but it leaves a slightly tacky feeling until you rinse it off.
  2. Only one shade available: This was a little bit of a bummer for me, I like having shade options to choose between so that people with different skin tones can choose which one is best for them. I'm hoping that they'll come out with other (darker) shades in the future. The
  3. Doesn't get super dark: This is the main con to me.  The product is marketed to be layered if desired (the bottle states up to three layers), so that's how you can reach the level of darkness that you want. I used two layers, and waited 24 hours after the application of the first layer, about 19 hours after both layers had been on, before washing it off. While it did make me noticeably tanner, it was only by a couple shades, and I am very fair to begin with. I wish that they had a darker option, because everything else about this tanner is a win for me.
Here are the photos I took throughout the tanning process. I tried my best to take them in the same exact lighting to the the best representation of how the tanner was working. While the bottle says that you can use up to three layers, I only did two just because it was most convenient on the day that I applied it. Next time I'll do three and see if it gets significantly darker.

Right before application.

Right before application of second layer; first layer has been developing for about five hours.

Two layers, about 24 hours after initial application (no yucky orange line at the wrist!)

I think that about covers it! I'd say that if I continued using two layers at a time, the bottle would last me about six full applications. At about $2 per application, it's far cheaper than a spray tan!

I hope you have a great weekend! I have a pretty busy day planned today, I'm going to a flower farm to pick up flowers from a bouquet subscription for my mom (how cute?!) and then I have some errands to run and wedding business to attend to, and I'm cat-sitting again this weekend too. Tomorrow Kenny and I are going on a day-trip to Richmond, so that'll be really fun!

xoxx, Laura

No comments