Ode to Summer in the Shenandoah Valley

HAPPY SUMMER!! I could cry of happiness, the summer solstice is my favorite day of the year. Summer is my season, and when my soul just feels right. This post is simply an ode to summer, and appreciating and reminiscing about some of my favorite things about summer in the valley!


For the past two years, my parents and I have driven up to Reddish Knob to watch the sunset on the first day of summer. The sunset hasn't been too spectacular either year because it was pretty cloudy both times, but I'm hoping that this year is third time's the charm! Even if we miss the sunset, the panoramic views of Virginia and West Virginia are still absolutely unreal.


We bring wine and charcuterie-style snacks to munch on while we wait for the sun to set, and it's always so much fun. This year, Kenny and my brother are both here, so they'll get to come too!


You can even see the Sugar Grove Station from the top of the mountain, which is actually an NSA communications site! In the photo below you can see it teeny tiny to the right of me.

Even in the summer, it gets chilly and windy up there so we always have to wear warm clothes! I freeze every time we go. 😂


Just a HANDFUL of the other things I love about summer in the valley and in general include:
  • Late sunsets
  • Freckles 
  • The smell of the AC
  • Fresh produce

  • Flowers in season (zinnias and cosmos are close to my heart!)
  • Walking barefoot 
  • Pool parties
  • Cornfields
  • Fireflies
  • Cookouts
  • Feeling like you're on summer break even if you have school/work
  • Visiting small family farmers markets
  • HEAT and HUMIDITY 🔥
  • Half-day Friday's at work
  • Outdoor concerts/parties/cookouts
  • Not needing a coat
  • Crazy beautiful sunsets 
  • Eating dinner outside
  • Thunderstorms followed by gorgeous evenings
  • Rosé and fun cocktails
  • Blueberry picking

     
  • Bringing our dog Riley to swim in the river 
  • Summer fashion 
  • The Fourth of July
  • Sunflower fields

Have an AMAZING weekend, love you like summer!

xoxx, Laura

No comments