Trend Spotlight: Tortoiseshell

Let's talk one of my very favorite prints that's coming around as a trend: tortoiseshell! Tortoiseshell is such a great neutral pattern to give an outfit a little extra somethin', and also a great way to incorporate brown AND black into an outfit, which is often considered a style no-no. I also love it in home decor!

With the leopard print craze still going strong, I think that tortoiseshell is an easy texture to add to your wardrobe if you haven't already, especially if you already love leopard. While I consider tortoiseshell a classic print, the resurgence of 90's fashion trends has made it much more prevalent. And I'm loving it!

There are SO many good tortoiseshell accessories available right now, these are some of my favorites!


  1. Hoop earrings: Let's start with one of my faves: tortoise hoop earrings! I included these in my list of must-have hoops, they've definitely been a wardrobe staple for me for the past year or two.
  2. Phone case: A friend of mine has this case and I looove it. It's subtle but fun. It's available for every current size of iPhone, and on sale right now!
  3. Clutch: This clutch is so gorgeous for fancier events where you don't want to lug your regular purse. It's pretty small, but can fit your phone, a card holder, a lipstick, and some keys. It comes with a chain in case you want to crossbody it. The best part is it's only $28, but looks much more expensive.
  4. Two-tone earrings: I love a good acrylic earring, and the two-tone detail on these is beautiful. These are affordable and lightweight!
  5. Bow barrette: No preppy girl at heart can resist a good hair bow. Keep your hair back in style.
  6. Heeled sandals: I love the double strap slip-on style of heels for summer, and these are made even better with tortoiseshell! There are actually a lot of great tortoiseshell versions of this type of sandal out right now, I love these, these, and these.
  7. Belt: Fun, summery statement belts are gonna be hot this year, this one would look great with a solid colored dress that needs a little extra structure.
  8. Booties: These make me SWOON! Everyone needs a pair of pointy-toed black booties, and these come with a little extra pizazz.
  9. Sunglasses: Tortoiseshell sunglasses are nothing new, but I wanted to feature one of my favorite classic cat eye pairs. Even Meghan Markle wears these frames, so you know they're good. 
  10. Cuff bracelet: This is perfect for an outfit that just needs one simple accessory to take it to the next level. Honestly, I'd even throw this son with a tee shirt to make it feel a little more glam.
  11. Headband: Every girl needs a tortoiseshell headband (even if you only use it to hold your hair back when you're washing your face), especially with the headband trend going strong right now.
  12. Bag: This is a MAJOR wishlist item for me right now! I know it's probably a polarizing piece, but I just LOVE it! It's a good size and makes a statement without being a bright color. It would be so pretty on a warm weather vacation! I'm dying for it to go on sale because I'm definitely not paying retail for it.
  13. Watch: You just can't beat a classic tortoiseshell watch, even if you only wear it for looks. I like that acrylic watches are more lightweight than metal ones, too.
  14. Flat sandals: These look nice, but what you may not notice is that they're actually jelly sandals! They're perfect for vacation if you want to take them straight from the beach to

I hope your week is going great! Sorry for not posting Monday - I've been "busy" AKA spending all my time I usually spend writing blog posts snuggling with Roxy. So really, I'm not sorry. But I WILL be back on Friday with one of my outfits that I wore in Savannah!

xoxx, Laura

SHOP THE POST: 


No comments