We Got Adopted! Meet Roxy

KENNY AND I GOT ADOPTED!! By a kitten! This sweet little girl is ours, and we are completely in love with her. We were so not expecting to get a cat this weekend, but the stars aligned and we ended up with a new bestie. Here's how it happened...

Outfit linked here
 

It all started on Saturday (leap day!). Cat's Cradle (a local organization that provides fostering/adoption, TNR, spay/neuter assistance, and pet rehoming/retention services for cats) was having their first "Coffee & Cats" event where you can pay to come drink coffee and play with some of their current foster babies in your own personal kitty room.


When I found out about the event, I signed us up right away! I have always wanted to go to a "cat cafe," and was excited to have the opportunity in Harrisonburg. When I told Kenny that I had signed us up, he told me that he had been planning on visiting friends in Roanoke that day so he'd have to leave right after. Whatever! As long as I got to pet kitties!


We got to our appointment at noon, got some coffee, and got into our cat room. There were three fosters there, and all of them were sweethearts. Roxy was the most outgoing, though! She was sitting on a chair when we got in, and jumped into Kenny's lap as SOON as he sat down on the floor! After a while, she moved into my lap, and I could not have been happier. The look on my face is me totally submitting to the fact that I will never be able to give this girl up.


Just look at that girl! She purred and purred. Isn't she beautiful?! I think all cats are the cutest, but she's the most gorgeous turtledove gray. Kenny's a sucker for gray kitties!


NOW we absolutely did not go to Cat's Cradle that day in search of a cat of our own. I wanted to play with kitties, plain and simple. Once we met Roxy though, we quickly decided that we couldn't live without her. Kenny and I kept looking at each other in the kitty room like "Do we need her?! We NEED her!"


Our session with the kitties was only supposed to be 15 minutes, but since there wasn't an appointment directly after ours, they let us stay in there longer. And I'm so glad that they did, because we would've been hard-pressed to have been pulled away from those babies any sooner than we were.


By the time the next appointment arrived and we were evicted from the kitty room, we were dead set on taking Roxy home with us. The adoption counselor told us that if we applied to adopt any of the cats, she'd give us a call on Monday. Believe me when I tell you I pulled that application up on my phone SO FAST!! Kenny and I have wanted a cat for a while now, so we didn't have to discuss too much before deciding that we absolutely wanted to adopt Roxy.


We filled out the application together before Kenny headed down to Roanoke. At that point, we just had to wait til Monday to hear if we were chosen to adopt Roxy. Once Kenny left, I went to hang out with my brother, Stuart. Around 4:00, I saw that I'd missed a call from a Harrisonburg number, so I called back on the chance that it was someone from Cat's Cradle. The call went straight to voicemail, so I called again and a lady answered. It was the adoption counselor!!


(I had no idea that Stuart was taking this photo... I was clearly too excited!) She told me that she had gone over our application for Roxy and said that I could come pick her up at PetSmart at 4:45 if I was available. I was shocked (it was 4:00 at the time)! I totally didn't expect to hear back from her til the next week, and even then, I knew there was still a chance that Kenny and I wouldn't be chosen to adopt Roxy, especially if other people from the Coffee & Cats had fallen in love with her too. After she gave me all the details, I immediately called Kenny to tell him the news. I wish he had been there! Neither of us woke up that morning expecting to end the day as cat parents.

 

4:45 came around and it was time to go pick her up!


The adoption counselor was running late because they had had such a busy day with the first Coffee & Cats event, and I was so anxious to get a hold of my new baby!


FINALLY we were reunited! They asked if they could take a photo of Roxy and me, and Stuart continued his Snapchat documentation of the process. I was also happy to learn that there had been applications for the other cats from the event that day, so they'd more than likely be getting homes as well! A little more about Roxy - she is four months old, and her given name was Roxy, we didn't change it! Kenny and I love the name Roxy, but we also wouldn't have wanted to confuse her by changing her name since she's older than a tiny kitten and has been referred to as Roxy for her whole life as far as we know. Other than that, we don't have much information on her backstory or where she came from. We know she had at least one brother, but that's it!


Once I picked Roxy up, I got a few things for her and headed over to my parents' house to introduce her. When I told my mom I had (unexpectedly) gotten a kitten, I was expecting her to roll her eyes and be like "What do you need a cat for??" despite her FIRM UNDERSTANDING of my love for cats. To my surprise, she was SO EXCITED when I told her and could barely wait for me to go pick her up. While Stuart and I were finishing up at the pet store, she kept texting me like "Where are you? How much longer??" 😂


They became fast friends! My mom's hoping that Roxy will develop a friendship with their dog, Riley, so that she can come over there to stay if Kenny and I go out of town. Roxy met Riley, but they're not too sure of each other. Riley seemed like he wanted to be her friend, but he was also a little afraid of this new animal in his house. Roxy on the other hand wanted NOTHING to do with Riley, until she could sneak up on him when he wasn't looking and observe him. I think there's a good chance of them becoming friends one day!


Roxy spent the evening playing, snuggling, and taking selfies with my mom, haha. She even found a foam Nerf dart of my brother's from who knows HOW many years ago underneath my parents' TV stand and played with it all night.


 I'm pretty sure she had her eye on Riley at this moment, ha!


Roxy had been living with a foster before we adopted her, and her foster sent a little gift bag with her! It had a couple of different types of food, and a toy. How sweet?! 💕


After a long night of playing and socializing, Roxy was tired out and eventually passed out in my lap. Shortly thereafter, I took her back to Kenny's and my place for her first night in her new home!


We had such a good night! 😻 I was a little nervous of how she'd take to her new environment, I was afraid she'd run around all night and wouldn't be able to sleep. Once I got in bed and turned the lights out though, she jumped right up on my chest and curled up there... All night long! I couldn't believe it, I've never known a cat to sleep right up on you the entire night. She is SO sweet!! She would've stayed snuggled up with me all day if I had let her, we were in bed for 12 hours before I finally got her up, ha!


How cute is she?! I could seriously cry every time I see her little face. She LOVES this sherpa blanket, and makes biscuits every time she gets on it.


She purrs constantly, whenever you pet her or play with her. She's just the happiest girl! She also meows all around the house, I feel like she's talking to me and letting me know what she's up to!


I even caught her doing the tongue thing! I LOVE when cats do this, it makes me laugh so much. Side note - I didn't want to get her too many toys because I didn't want her to get bored of having so many options. She loves playing with a simple piece of string, but I did pick up these little bee toys at Target. I got them because she loves crinkly things and they have crinkly wings, and she absolutely loves them! She'll be minding her own business and then catch a glimpse of one in the corner of the room and then BOOM, she attacks! Sometimes she carries one around in her mouth, which is hilariously cute.


She always has to know what's going on, whenever I'm doing something in the kitchen she wants in! I put a chair next to me when I was cooking dinner the second night I had her, and she used it to boost herself right onto my shoulders! Keep in mind that Kenny still wasn't back yet and hadn't seen her since we were at Cat's Cradle the previous day... And this is what he walked in to when he got home! Roxy just being Roxy!


...So she had to give Kenny's shoulders a try too. I stood next to him and she walked right over! She's such a brave girl, she explores everywhere and nothing scares her.


She is JUST the sweetest girl alive! 😭💕 We've been loving getting to know her little personality. She' such a snuggle bug, she wants to cuddle with me any time I lay down, and I do too! I've been calling her "tiny" a lot because she's just so dang tiny and cute!! I think that she looks bigger in photos than in real life - she's so small! We love her so much and are so happy to have found a new best friend... and I think the feelings are mutual! Expect a lot more Roxy content over on Instagram - she's my little baby and all I want to do is spend time with her!

xoxx, Laura & Roxy

No comments