Battle of the Balms

I'm a lip balm fiend, and I've tried a LOT of them, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I did a mini breakdown of my favorite lip balms on Insta stories several weeks back, but I thought I'd make it official on the blog. I have a pretty good crew of ride-or-die lip balms, with a few in particular that stand above the rest. I also included some hyped-up ones that fell flat for me, so be sure to read the descriptions to find out where they stand.


ONTO MY FAVORITES! I tried to rank them as definitively as I could, even though they're all favorites. Keep scrolling to the bottom to read about popular balms that turned out to be FLOPS that you might want to stay away from... or not, you tell me!

MY TOP PICKS:


1. Lano 101 Ointment Multi-Balm: This one had to go first because it's my ALL-TIME favorite lip balm; I'd use only this one for the rest of my life if I had to. I will shout from the rooftops about how good this balm is. Everyone needs to buy it so they can love it as much as I do. It's my most repurchased beauty product ever, even though it hurts me to pay $14 for a lip balm. It's super thick, which is what I LOVE in a balm, because it makes your lips super juiced and lasts forever. Since it is thick, I've found the easiest way to apply it is to squeeze a little bit out onto my finger and apply it to the lips from there. It also gives the lips a glossy appearance, so you don't have to top it with anything if you're wearing it out during the day. The only "negative" about this balm is that the strawberry scent isn't necessarily my szhuszh, but there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't bother me, so long live Lano.


2. Lano Original 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbalm: It was a hard battle between this one and the multi-balm because I love them both. Nonetheless, it's still part of my top two, so you know it's good. It has all the best qualities of the strawberry multi-balm, but is unscented. Compared to the multi-balm, this one has an even thicker formula initially, so I always hold the tube in my hand for several moments to warm it up a bit before applying it. It gets super soft (runny, really) if it gets too warm, so don't leave it in your car in the summertime (don't worry if it melts though, it hardens back up at room temperature). Same as with the other balm, I've found that it's easiest to deposit a small amount of it to your fingertip and then apply it to your lips using your finger.


3. Milk Makeup KUSH Lip Glaze: The same as the Lano balms, this one is super thick and nourishing. But what sets this one apart is the metal applicator. It's so cooling on your lips when you apply it, and then the balm lasts forever. The balm itself is green (eek!) but it doesn't show up green on the lips. Maybe a TINY bit, but it isn't noticeable.


4. Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25: The main benefit of this balm to me is that it has SPF 25. Your lips need sun protection just like the rest of your skin! The formula is slightly waxy which isn't my favorite, but it's long lasting and not sticky. I think out of all the balms on my list, this one has the easiest formula to layer under a lipstick. It comes in five different flavors (some pretty fun and unique ones!), my favorite is shea butter. It's marketed toward men, but you can't keep me away from a good balm. PLUS anything that makes men think it's acceptable to moisturize is always a good thing. 😂


5. Laneige Lip Glowy Balm: This is a great "daytime" balm. It has a thinner formula, so it's lightweight and not sticky. With that, it doesn't last as long as a thicker, stickier balm, but it's still really nice. I prefer the grapefruit flavor, but it also comes in peach, berry, and pear.


6. Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lip Soother SPF 20: This one is a throwback, I use to majorly F with this back in middle school. I distinctly remember applying it at the pool with my friends (after one of our moms dropped us off, of course). I mostly use this during the summer because it has a wonderful cooling sensation, and the most delicious juicy flavor. And obviously, I love the fact that it has sun protection as well. It's also the least expensive of all my favorites and available at the drugstore, so bonus points for that. 

OVERHYPED ALERT:


Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask:  Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying that this product is BAD, I'm just saying that it's nothing special. Based on my top favorite balms, you can tell that I like THICK, long-lasting balms that drench my entire existence. This one just doesn't do it for me! The formula feels nice on the lips and does a good job of moisturizing, but when I put it on before bed, I definitely don't wake up with my lips feeling juicier than ever like the die-hard fans of this product claim. The instructions tell you to apply a generous coat before bed, and wipe off the excess in the morning (you know, like an actual face mask), but I've NEVER had any leftover the next morning. I also don't appreciate the jar packaging, it just makes the product much more susceptible to contamination when you're sticking your grubby little fingers into it every time you use it. To me, the formula is equivalent to the glowy balm from the same brand, even though they're marketed differently. I wouldn't repurchase this!

DISHONORABLE MENTION:


Kopari Lip Glossy: This one WRECKED my lips!! It's super popular and I had seen a ton of people recommend it, so has a balm fiend, I ordered not one but two of them. I used it off and on for several months, but at one point last spring/summer my lips were absolutely desert dry and cracked in the corners and I had no idea why. At some point it dawned on me that it might be the balm, so I stopped using it and sure enough, my lips went back to normal within just a day or two. I have never had a reaction like that to a makeup or skincare product before, and I was shocked that it happened with such a clean product. I'm not sure which ingredient my skin didn't take well to, but I'm definitely gonna be playing it safe with Kopari products from now on.


I couldn't live life without lip balm, especially these dry winter months! Let me know if you try any of my faves, or if there are any amazing balms out there that I need to try!

Have a great week!!

xoxx, Laura 

SHOP THE POST: 


No comments