Winter Essentials

It's *officially* winter, and January is usually when winter really shows its face here in Virginia. While it's not been too crazy cold here lately, I don't trust the mild temperatures. We had our first snow of the season this week, so I am PREPARED for the dead of winter to creep in.

Enter: my winter must-haves. Some are practical, some are frivolous, but I swear by all of them when I reach the winter months.

  1. Sherpa-lined blanket: My mom has one of these for every season, and they're SO cozy and warm. Martha Stewart Home comes out with a different style of these sherpa-lined blankets every year and I like some styles better than others, but what it comes down to is that they're just so darn warm.
  2. Sherpa-lined joggers: These were an impulse purchase a few years back that quickly turned into a cold-weather staple for me. They're men's so they're oversized, but they're SO freaking warm for wearing around the house in the winter on those days where you're absolutely freezing or don't feel like turning up the heat.
  3. Fuzzy robe: As I mentioned in my top products of 2019 post, I LIVE in my fuzzy robe at home pretty much year round, especially in the winter. I throw it on over pajamas or my regular clothes, and it's basically like wearing a blanket around.
  4. Neutrogena hand cream: Dry winter skin is the worst, I hate flaking, cracking knuckles this time of year. This is my favorite hand cream I've ever used; its super thick and just like the package says: "just a dab heals dry skin!"
  5. Yeti mug: I'll admit, I doubted how great Yeti mugs could possibly be for a couple of years, but after borrowing my mom's one day I finally realized how great they really are. They keep drinks hot forever! Like, undrinkably hot. They keep them cold even longer, but that's not what I'm worried about this time of year, ha. I like the 20oz tumbler because it holds just the right amount of liquid for me, and still fits in car cup holders.
  6. Winter home fragrance: I love a good seasonal candle, and my favorite of ALL TIME is Thymes "Frasier Fir." There are a million pine-scented candles out there, but this one somehow succeeds in trumping them all (and everyone I introduce it to agrees). I also love Bath and Body Works "Winter" around this time of year. Neither of them are inherent "holiday" scents, so you can continue to burn them through January.
  7. Glitter lip gloss: I love a good glitter gloss around the holiday season, but I think they're a fun way to spice up your look all winter. My favorites are Laura Geller in "City Lights" and Buxom in "Celeste." They're both super beautiful and sparkly on their own, layer well over lipstick, and don't have that gritty texture that a lot of people hate in sparkly glosses.
  8. Lano lip balm: I mentioned this as one of my top products of 2019, and it may be my absolute favorite product of the year. I've used it for about four years now and no other lip balm compares for me. It's SO moisturizing and that's what I want in a balm year-round, but especially in the winter.
  9. Sherpa-lined mittens: These are THE warmest of any gloves or mittens I've ever worn! Being mittens, they're not as "practical" as gloves, but I think it makes them warmer. Back in college, my friend said mittens are better because "your fingers can snuggle" and I've never forgotten that, ha!
  10. Warm and cozy fragrance:  Nest "Indigo" KKW Fragrance "Diamonds Kourtney Yellow"
  11. Bean boots: Basic as these may be, they're worth the hype. I recommend upgrading to the Thinsulate-lined ones for extra warmth,
  12. "Street-worthy" Uggs: Everyone knows that Uggs are the comfiest, warmest shoes in the whole wide world. I think we can all also agree that they're not always the most attractive shoes to wear out of the house. I've had a lace-up pair for the past few years that have all the delicious coziness that we love from Uggs, but they're a little cuter and more refined (while still basically wearing slippers out and about).
  13. Ugg slippers: Having cold feet is the worst, especially in your own home! I wear these around the house all the time in the winter, but they have substantial soles so you could wear them to take your dog out or even to run through the Starbucks drive-thru.

Happy weekend, I hope you have a great one! Like I mentioned earlier this week, my alma mater is playing in the FCS national football championship tomorrow, and I'm so excited to watch and cheer them on with Kenny! It's gonna be a nerve-wracking game, but I have a good feeling about it...

xoxx, Laura

No comments