October Adventures 🍂


I've been saying this a lot the past few years, but I really love October! Summer is my favorite season, but outside of summer, I absolutely love October. Ever since meeting Kenny, my Octobers are always packed with fun, from our anniversary to his birthday to all of the fall activities that are happening. We had the best October weekend, so I wanted to share!



On Saturday, we went to Showalter's Orchard for their fall harvest celebration! We love going every year; they usually have it on one Saturday, but the past couple of years they've spread everything out over every Saturday in October, so it's been nice to be able to pick a weekend. We got some hot cider (also LOVE their cider slushies!) and apple cider donuts!


 
It was definitely chilly that day, it felt so much like fall!

 


They had this one single strand of lights between two of the rows of apple trees, and it was so beautiful! I don't know what it was for, but I like to think it was leftover from a fall engagement shoot!



On Sunday, my parents and Kenny and I went to a new-to-us place that was SO cool. It's called the Blue Ridge Tunnel and a former railroad tunnel that was constructed in the mid-1800's and used through 1944. My mom and I were going to visit during the summer, but I'm so glad we waited til fall! It was such a fun (and spooky!) activity for one of the first chilly October weekends.

 


My cute parents trying to get a good look at the keystone! 



The brick entry is the west portal of the tunnel. It is so beautiful!  You can enter the tunnel from either end, but this is the way we came in. We weren't sure what to expect from the tunnel - I kind of thought we'd just park and it'd be right there, but it's actually a bit of a hike to get to it. The tunnel itself is about 3/4 of a mile long, and then the trail goes beyond it at both ends. The entire hike is about 2 1/4 miles from end to end, 4 1/2 miles round trip.


I rarely get photos with my parents, I love this one!


Peep my dad photobombing. 😂 If you look right next to my head, you can just barely see the light from the other end of the tunnel!

Sweater (similar, similar) | Jeans (curvy version) | Hat | Boots
Linked my outfit details above! These jeans were perfectly comfy for hiking.


It is so spooky inside the tunnel!! It's pretty much completely dark so a good flashlight is a must. You can see both ends of the tunnel from any point, but it's longer than it seems! It's very cave-like inside, it's wet and there are a few places where water runs from the walls. You might even see a bat! Over a dozen workers died during the construction of the tunnel, so knowing that definitely makes it feel more eerie in there, especially when you get out of the more "finished" brick area and into the natural rock area.


This rocky, more "natural" end of the tunnel is the east portal, which is where we came out.

Of course we all had to get photos at both portals! Once we made it to the other end of the trail, we turned around and headed back. The "new" tunnel (which was opened in the 40's to accommodate larger trains) is basically right next to this one, and we saw a couple of Amtraks go through while we hiked.


The trees aren't quite at peak color in Virginia, but we saw some beautiful yellow ones on our walk!


I hope you're having an amazing October!

xoxx, Laura

This post contains commissionable links. 

No comments