Wedding Wednesday: Wedding Perfumes

Man, it's been a while since I did a wedding Wednesday post, huh?? I've had this post in my drafts for a while, and was inspired to post it because I just re-purchased my own wedding perfume to have a backup bottle! 

Before our wedding, Kenny told me that I should get a new perfume for wedding festivities so that when we smelled it, the scent would always take us back to that day. I almost died from cuteness, I thought that was SO sweet for him to think about something like that! And actually, I had already sort of been planning on getting a new perfume for that exact reason.

If you're getting married soon (or even if you're not, yet!), I highly recommend picking a fragrance specifically for you wedding. Scents are one of the strongest memory triggers, and they really do bring back memories for me in a way that pictures just can't. A recent example is when Kenny and I were in Phoenix, I bought some sleepy lotion from Lush because I hadn't brought any with me. I had never tried that scent before, and now every time I use it, it takes me back to that trip! PLUS, if the bottle's pretty, it's a beautiful touch to add to a detail shot.

I'm a very methodical person, so when I was trying to pick a fragrance to remember my wedding by, I knew it had to be PERFECT. Here are some of the tips I have based on how I chose mine...

Tips for choosing your wedding perfume: 

  • Choose something you've never owned. Unless you've always had ONE signature scent that you're known for, I'd recommend choosing a perfume that's brand new to you. You want your mind to associate the scent with your wedding, so you don't want to have any other memories attached to it!
  • Choose something that suits the "vibe" of your wedding. Is your wedding outdoor? Choose something light and fresh and airy! A historical church? Something more mature and romantic. Did you allot most of your budget to breathtaking floral arrangements? Choose something heavily floral!
  • Pick a fragrance that's not quite like any perfumes you usually wear. You want it to be unique and memorable, so don't pick something that's too similar to your current favorite perfumes. In my case, I love florals, but I'd never had a perfume with rose notes in it before. That alone was enough to help me choose a fragrance that smelled
  • Choose a perfume that's permanent from a brand so you'll always be able to buy it. This is something I truly tried to do! I was ensured that my perfume was a permanent part of the collection, but it unfortunately got discontinued just a few months after my wedding. Luckily, I got my hands on a backup bottle!

I'm sharing my top wedding perfume picks, in no particular order (except the one I wore will be first, of course). These are perfumes that I've owned, so I'm familiar with how they dry down and how they wear. Most of my favorite fragrances include citrusy, floral, and light musk notes, so that range is where I began looking for my own wedding perfume, and that's where many of my recommendations fall. I've linked to multiple retailers for most of them because sometimes you can find them on sale at certain places. I'm also including the notes for each of them, because I know those can help determine if you'd like a fragrance or not. Let's get into it!

Belk | Macy's

1. Kate Spade "In Full Bloom Blush"

Top notes: cassis bud, mandarin leaves, luscious raspberry
Heart notes: rose bulgare absolute, white peony, honeysuckle
Base notes: ambrox, white musk, cedarwood, benzoin

I had to include this one because it's the perfume I wore for mt wedding, but tragically, it's been discontinued! When I was deciding on my wedding perfume, I wanted to make sure that I chose a classic scent that was permanent so that I would always be able to get a bottle of it. When I chose this one it was relatively new, so I contacted Kate Spade's customer service to ask if it was limited edition or permanent, and they ensured me that it was going to be a permanent scent in their collection. LIARS! It was discontinued mere months later. Oh well, I have been able to find it at TJ Maxx recently (majorly discounted, score), so I have a backup bottle now. BUT, I wish that it was permanent so I'd never have to worry about running out! It's a rich, complex floral with a lot of layers (look at all those notes!). It's more of a mature scent than a fresh and flirty scent, but doesn't smell "old" by any means; the fruit notes help lighten it up a bit. It was the perfect wedding scent and it makes Kenny and me so happy every time we smell it! I plan on wearing it on our anniversary trip next month, too.

2. Chloe "L'Eau"

Top notes: lychee, grapefruit
Middle notes: rose absolute, magnolia, moss
Base notes: cedarwood essence, musk, amber

Since the Kate Spade fragrance I wore for my wedding is no longer available, this is a great alternative. The two smell very similar, although this one is even more rose heavy, but somehow a just a touch lighter and fresher. I didn't previously think that I liked rose fragrances, but in the right combination with other notes to freshen it up, they can be SO tantalizing. Another great thing about this particular perfume is that it is SO long lasting! The longest-lasting perfume that I own. I've worn it and still smelled it on my skin the next day.


3. Jo Malone "Peony and Blush Suede"

Top note: red apple
Middle note: peony
Base note: suede

I *almost* went with this one as my wedding perfume, but I ended up passing it up because it just didn't last on my skin very long. I know that the way perfumes smell and perform varies from person to person so I don't hold it against this one. This is also a very popular fragrance that a lot of people wear, so I didn't want something I might encounter a lot. When I was "testing" it to see if I wanted to wear it for my wedding, my coworker smelled it and was like "Oh my gosh, WHAT are you wearing??" She ended up ordering a bottle THAT DAY, so even though I didn't end up wearing it for my wedding, I helped her find a new fave!


4. Viktor & Rolf "Flowerbomb Bombilicious"

Notes: Grapefruit, rose, musk grapefruit, blackcurrant, bergamot, mandarin rose, lily of the valley, jasmine musks, patchouli, cashmeran

If you're discrediting me on this recommendation because you hate the original Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, DON'T LEAVE YET! I don't like it either, so I was pleasantly surprised when I loved this one right off the bat. It's a super fresh floral, it's bright and fruity without smelling like actual fruit.
Bloomingdales | Belk | Sephora | Ulta
5. Dior "Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet"

Top note: Damascan rose
Middle note: peony
Base note: white musk

This is one of my favorite perfumes of all time, and I think it'd be absolutely perfect for a wedding fragrance. The notes are simple, but it's unlike any other floral perfume I own. I wear it whenever I want to smell fancy, it gives me tweed-jacket-and-designer-shoes vibes. SO delicious! Do NOT make the mistake of getting the original "Miss Dior," though, make sure it's the "Blooming Bouquet" version. The original smells like old lady to me.


6. Aerin "Rose de Grasse"

Notes: rose Centifolia, rose Otto Bulgarian, rose absolute

This is a really beautiful rose-forward fragrance that's just romantic and classic. The bottle would be beautiful in photos if you're including gold in your wedding color scheme. It's EXPENSIVE, but if you love splurging on nice perfumes, then this might be the one for you. If you love it but don't want to spend that much on a perfume, I'd recommend trying the Chloe "L'Eau." They're definitely reminiscent of one another, I own the Chloe one and it's a beautiful, romantic fragrance, and lasts extremely long on the skin.



7. & 8. Juliette Has A Gun "Not A Perfume" and "Not A Perfume Superdose"

Note: cetalox

That's right people, both of these perfumes only have ONE NOTE. And it's the same for both of these perfumes. And I have no idea what it even is. I'm grouping both of these together because one is a stronger take on the other, but to me they're both just as good. The gag with the one-note thing is that this perfume works with your body chemistry to create your perfect scent. These are categorized as woody, earthy fragrances, but I disagree; I find them to be fresh and energizing. They both remind me a lot of Dolce&Gabbana "Light Blue" and I've heard other people say the same, so if you like that one then I definitely think you'll love these as well. I love both of these fragrances and they do smell very similar to me, but I know that there are people who only like one or the other, so I encourage you to sample both next time you're in Sephora and see if you like either of them!

9. Estee Lauder "Beautiful Belle"

Top notes: lychee, rose petals, mimosa
Middle notes: orange flower, gardenia, tuberose
Base notes: orris root, blush suede accord, marzipan musk, ambrox

 Out of all of the perfumes I'm recommending, this one is the most "mature" in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's old lady-smelling, but it's definitely a heavier, more complex floral.


10. Marc Jacobs "Daisy"  

Top notes: violet leaves, wild strawberries
Middle notes: violet petals, jasmine bouquet
Base notes: musk, vanilla infusion

Chances are you've smelled this perfume before, owned it, or at least had a friend who wore it! I have one particular friend (hi, Madeline!) who always wore it when we were in high school, so anytime I smell it, it always reminds me of her (see? Scent memory triggers!) It's an undeniably happy, upbeat fragrance, and isn't that how you want to feel on your wedding day? Even the bottle is happy!

If you're getting married soon, congratulations! It's going to be the best day, and I'm so excited for you.

xoxx, Laura

No comments