Wedding Wednesday: Flowers

Get ready to swoon, because this Wedding Wednesday it's all about flowers. I'm sharing a ton of floral inspo, so be sure to scroll down to catch it all!

I have my first meeting with my wedding florist this afternoon so that we can discuss my vision for my wedding day florals, and I'm SO excited to get started! (And weirdly nervous??) They're the best in town in my opinion, and they also happen to be the florist that works with my reception venue to provide table arrangements on a weekly basis, so I'm grateful that they're familiar with the space and the staff.

I LOVE flowers, and I wish I could afford to cover every single surface of my wedding venue with beautiful blooms. While I definitely won't be having anything close to Kim and Kanye's rose wall, flowers are still very important to me and I want to make them as prominent a part of my decor as possible. Since my venue is already so gorgeous, it doesn't need much decoration, so I think that it will be really easy to accent the space with flowers and greenery throughout.

I was chatting wedding details a couple of weeks ago with my friend who's also planning her wedding, and realized that I should probably start thinking about the timeline for getting my flowers in order. Originally, incorporating magnolias into my bouquet was really important to me because I LOVE magnolias, they may even be my very favorite flower. However, it's not very easy to get magnolias, so I've opened my mind to different types of flowers that will exude the same southern elegance. (My reception venue does have a gorgeous magnolia tree in the front yard, so that's a pretty good consolation!)

I love compact, round flowers like peonies, garden roses, ranunculus, and anemones. I don't want traditional roses; I love roses by themselves, but I don't like them as much mixed in with other flowers. Greenery in a bouquet is also very important to me, I think it really elevates flower arrangements and adds so much gorgeous texture and dimension. I could definitely add magnolia leaves to a bouquet much more easily than actual magnolia flower since they're evergreen and native to Virginia, so that's something I'll take into consideration.

Let's chat bouquet types:
  1. Cascade: This is my TOP favorite type of bouquet, and the type that I'll probably go with for my own bridal bouquet. I love a healthy amount of greenery and texture in a bouquet, I think it makes it so much more dimensional and eye-catching. I'm not intimidated by a massive bouquet, and I don't think it would "take away" from anything. On the contrary, I want it to be one of my main accessories.

    This is actually from my maid of honor's cousin's recent wedding and arguably my FAVORITE bouquet I've seen so far, I love the greenery and the combination of flowers.

    Image via
    How insane is this one?! The "extra" in me wants something like this... We'll see!

    Image via
  2. Round: Round bouquets are also gorgeous and classic, more focused on flowers than "fluff." I may go for a bouquet somewhere between cascade and round, with a round base and greenery sticking out here and there.

    Image via
  3. Crescent: Crescent bouquets are SO gorgeous, they're most similar to cascade, but are crescent-shaped as the name suggests. This type photographs beautifully, and seems to have gained a lot of popularity as Pinterest took off. The broad profile really steals the show, and this style can come off as more or less polished depending on the vibe you're looking to achieve, satisfying tastes ranging from rustic-glam to country club-elegant.

    Image via
  4. Nosegay: This type of bouquet consists of a small, round bundle of flowers and greenery cut to a uniform (or at least semi-uniform) length. I think that this type would serve well as a bridesmaid bouquet made as a smaller version of the bride's bouquet. This type is typically defined by a main focal color, so it would work really well with my ivory flower theme.

    Image via
  5. Posy: Similar to nosegay, the posy style consists of a smaller bundle of flowers in a more round shape. They also serve well as a "mini" of a larger bridal bouquet for bridesmaids and flower girls.

    Image via
Now that we've talked bouquet types, let's take a look at some more inspo and what's fueling my wedding day floral vision... Enjoy!

Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
Image via
xoxx, Laura

No comments