Feeling Chatty

Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. I didn't have a post planned for Friday or today, so I thought I'd do a more laid-back post today and share about my weekend!

Outfit linked here

Kenny headed home Friday to help his mom prepare to move and to see some friends, so it was a GIRLS WEEKEND for Roxy and me! I started watching Good Girls on Netflix because it was recommended and I hadn't heard anything about it, and I've been absolutely loving it! It's kind of like Breaking Bad but with women and not as dark.

On Saturday, I woke up and fell down a cleaning rabbit hole (you know, when you start by doing 3 dishes and then find yourself scrubbing the trim in the kitchen??) and then luckily I was interrupted by my brother and his girlfriend so we got to actually go to fun stuff. 😂 


My phone was eligible for an upgrade (which I didn't even realize they did anymore, TBH) so I spent a chunk of the afternoon getting all of that switched over. I haven't gotten a new phone in almost four years, so I feel all cool and tech savvy now with the newest iPhone. Before I had even gotten my phone, I ordered a case and a screen protector (my fave screen protector is 50% off on Amazon right now!) for pickup from Best Buy/Walmart - how scary are those few moments with a caseless new phone?? I have never had a phone case other than an Otterbox Defender... I'm to paranoid to rock a cute case even though they've come a long way in the past few years! I don't trust them! I am swooning over this tortoiseshell one, though... Maybe one day I'll take the risk. 😂


After the phone store (which my brother and his girlfriend so lovingly accompanied me to), we met my dad at Costco because he was getting a receiver for a pair of speakers he had bought, and I just like Costco. 😂 I picked up a couple of new bottles of wine to try, and a package of my favorite instant pho because it was on sale.


After Costco, we went back to my parents' house and I made the Pioneer Woman's apple dumpling recipe which is so easy and good! The photo above is right when I put them in the oven. The secret ingredient is Mountain Dew (hence the lemon-limey color), and I don't know what it does but it just WORKS. The recipe calls for 12oz of it, and the times that I've made the recipe there's been a lot of excess liquid, so I would recommend using 6-8oz rather than the full 12.



I broke out one of the wines I got at Costco (after chilling it outside in the snow, which I recommend if circumstances permit) - La Gioiosa rosé prosecco. It was definitely good for around $9! It reminded me of hard cider, but it wasn't super sweet. It would be great to serve at a brunch or shower because it's pretty and it would be a crowd-pleaser.

While I was baking and drinking, my dad and my brother got the receiver/stereo set up and we spent the rest of the night listening to music and hanging out.

On Sunday morning, I had brunch plans with my bestie Nancy Carrie to take her to my favorite new-ish spot, Magpie Diner, because she had never been. We tried to go on Valentine's Day but the wait was insane even though we got there just after they opened, so we took a rain check.


I ended up opting to skip doing my makeup in favor of laying in bed as late as possible with Roxy because she was sleeping on me and SO DANG CUTE.

 


Can you blame me?? P.S. YES I sleep with an eye mask, and it's the best thing ever. It's real silk, adjustable, and under $10 on Amazon Prime.

WELL, I ended up regretting the no makeup decision because there was a photographer doing mini-shoots with a giant floral arrangement in the office space connected to the restaurant, and of course we HAD to participate while we waited for our table! It was super fun, I can't wait to get the photos back! After we did our photos, we grabbed coffee while we were waiting for brunch. We both got pourovers, and I forgot how much BETTER pourover coffee is than regular! Plus it's fun to watch it get made.



Once our table was ready, it was on. We ordered cocktails (a Bloody Mary and blackberry mint cava sangria, both wonderful), and then I ordered green poutine, Nancy Carrie got a hot honey bacon egg and cheese biscuit, and we got a short stack of pancakes to split. As usual, everything was insanely good.


After brunch, I headed home and changed into comfy clothes. I had seen a pile of trash that looked like a witch and it cracked me up so much, I had to go back and take a photo. 😂 Can you see it?? I didn't even realize until I looked at the photo later that the "broom" is an actual broom, ha!



I planned on taking a trip to Trader Joe's (about an hour away) to kill time until Kenny got home, but as soon as I left I felt guilty for leaving Roxy and I turned right around and went back home. 😂 I just couldn't leave her fuzzy little face, even just for a few hours! I was wrapped around her little paw even more than usual all weekend. I can't believe it's almost been a year since we got her! She truly is the light of our lives.

I ended up spending the rest of the day doing pretty much NOTHING other than watching more Good Girls until Kenny got home. I got through two out of the three seasons, but I'm gonna restart it and make Kenny watch it with me, because I know he'll like it too and we're between shows right now. When Kenny got back, we decided to get Chinese food which we ate and promptly went to bed - perfect Sunday night, in my opinion!


...Which brings us to Monday! We had some beautiful snow this morning, which sadly switched to rain, but I loved it while it lasted. I hope you enjoyed this more laid-back, old school blog post! I'll be back later this week with an outfit post, and I also have some Amazon favorites posts planned. Have a wonderful week!


xoxx, Laura

No comments