5 Favorite Red Wines Under $20

When I started drinking wine, I thought there was no way on earth that I would ever enjoy red wine. I only liked the sweetest of Moscatos, and everything else made my face scrunch up when I tasted it. WELL, I've pulled a 180 and now red wine is pretty much all I drink (with the exception of bubbly and the occasional glass of dry white or rosé on a hot day). I drink red wine year-round, but it's particularly good to drink during the winter since it's served at a warmer temperature than other wines, and has a warmer overall drinking experience.

I'm a grocery store wine kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good expensive bottle of wine, it's just not what I drink on a regular basis. I've tried a lot of different wines, and discovered my go-tos. A major benefit of the wines I'm sharing today (besides the fact that they're affordable) is that all of them are available at the grocery store (the "fanciest" store I've had to go to for any of these has been Harris Teeter - they have a better wine selection than a lot of grocery stores.) Merlot is usually what I gravitate toward, so there are a few Merlots on this list, along with a stellar Cabernet and some great red blends.

With Valentine's Day coming up, I have a feeling it's gonna be a big weekend for wine. If you're looking for a bottle to gift, or one to enjoy yourself, might I recommend one of these? 


Honorable mention - Bonanza Cabernet Sauvignon
: Don't get me wrong, this wine isn't listed as an honorable mention because it's lacking anything. I only excluded it from my list because it doesn't meet the "under $20" rule I set - I usually find it around $25-$28. I originally tried it because I heard it was from the same winemaker as Caymus Vineyards, which produces some of the most popular (and expensive) red wine out there. "Toast" is one of the flavor notes, which I think is part of what makes it unique yet easy to drink. My mom prefers white wines and we typically have differing opinions on wines when we drink them together, but I brought a bottle of this over for her birthday and we both loved it. I definitely recommend this one when you want to spend $25ish on a bottle!

 

1. Bogle Merlot: This is my go-to weeknight wine. I usually find it on sale under $10, and tastes so much more expensive. Bogle won Wine Enthusiast's American Winery of the Year in 2019, and they'd have my vote! It's intense and full bodied, and more on the dry side which balances out the fruit notes. 


2. Cartlidge & Browne Merlot
: I love this one SO much, I had it at one of my favorite restaurants in Lexington and had to track it down. TRAGICALLY, the distributor stopped supplying to Virginia! My mom tracked down some of the last bottles she could find around here and gave them to me for my birthday, so I've been hoarding them for special occasions only. This one is super easy to drink, it has notes of coffee and chocolate which are more prominent than other Merlots in my opinion. The manufacturer describes it as a "masculine" Merlot, which is apt, albeit silly.



3. Estancia Merlot
: I started drinking this one after I saw Sydney Carver recommended Estancia's Cabernet Sauvignon. Now I'm thinking I need to try that variety too because I've been branching out into Cabs lately. It's medium bodied, dry, and balanced. Another great go-to, especially to serve with food because Merlots are so food-friendly.



4. Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
: WOW, that one's a mouthful, huh? In my opinion, this one tastes the most expensive compared to any others on this list, and looks it, too! The bottle is beautiful with the strand of raffia wrapped around the neck, displaying a short cut of grapevine. The bottle says "dry red wine" so I think it's a blend, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure what it is. It's made in Italy, complex yet perfectly balanced, and SO smooth. It's under $20 when I see it at the grocery store, but only $11 at Costco, so get it there if you can. It's an impressive wine to gift because the bottle presents so well; I always keep a few bottles around in case of celebration.



5. 14 Hands Hot to Trot
: This is a good red blend if you're looking for something to serve to a group. It has prominent fruit notes and it's not quite as dry as my previous picks, so it's a pretty safe choice to please a wide range of people. This winery also has a bold red blend that's also good if you're looking for something more robust. 


I hope you have a great Valentine's day weekend full of self-love and great wine! Let me know if you try any of these - if you're a red drinker, I think you'll love them. And PLEASE, let me know your favorite wine! I'm always looking for new recommendations to try.


xoxx, Laura

No comments