Getting out of a Funk

I gotta be honest, I was in a FUNK yesterday. It started from getting in a bad mood about some already difficult logistical stuff being made even MORE difficult by office closures due to the COVID-19 crisis, and turned into a full-blown pity party. Sitting at home all the time and having anxiety about going out can take a toll mentally (and emotionally, and physically, and socially), especially without knowing when everything is going to start getting back to normal.

I knew that I was going to spend the rest of the day at home working, so it was up to me to get myself out of my mood and feeling better. I thought I'd share my favorite ways to get out of a funk, because I know I'm not the one that's had some off days lately. I am not a therapist, but I am someone who has felt funky before, so that is my credential. These are some of the methods I employ whenever I'm feeling weird or down to help cheer myself up, so hopefully you can find a few of them helpful, too!

Shirt (similar) | Skirt | Sandals | Bralette (30% off right now) | Earrings | LV Pochette Accessories
  • Take a walk: Simple, go on a walk! I'll be the first to admit that that's often the last thing I wanna do when I'm not feeling great, but I ALWAYS feel better when I get done. Walk along with someone if you want, or walk alone. I often get good thinking and personal reflection done when I'm on a solo walk, so that's what's best for me personally when I'm in an off mood. 
  • Snuggle your pet: This might sound psycho, but sometimes I look at Roxy and she makes me so happy I giggle uncontrollably. Like, I literally cannot contain my happiness when I look at her, so I just have to laugh. THAT'S FREE SEROTONIN, BABY. If you have a pet, I'm sure you can relate. If you're in a funk, try giving your pet some extra attention! They love it, and we love it too. And if you DON'T have a pet (Roxy is new to my life as of the past several weeks), follow a kitten or puppy fostering account on Instagram! I've kept a "kittens" saved album on Instagram for years of all the cutest kittens I see on fostering accounts, and I go back and look at them if I need a boost of happiness. Some of my favorite accounts to follow are Kitten FacesMy Foster Kittens, Foster Furbabies, and I am the Cat Photographer
  • Have coffee (or tea): The routine of having coffee in the morning is something I look forward to every single day of my life. I never get tired of it! The smell, the taste, the warmth, it's all so comforting. My morning coffee is especially precious to me during this weird time, but I can also never underestimate how much better a good cup of coffee can make me feel at any time of day. I know that coffee isn't everyone's thing, but whipping up a cup of whatever your poison is when you're feeling off can really help you get to feeling right again. 
  • Mix up a cocktail: Let's face it, when coffee isn't cutting it, a good cocktail (or a glass of wine, or a beer...) always makes life feel easier. If you want to browse unique recipes and get a good laugh at the same time, I love Tipsy Bartender's cocktail recipe videos. 
  • Go on a drive & get takeout: One of the things that Kenny and I are missing the most during this time are our weekend day-dates and dinner dates at our favorite local places. The closest thing we can get to that right now is going on a nice drive and then picking up takeout for dinner. It's a good way to get our fix of favorite restaurants, while also getting out of the house longer than just a grocery run. 
  • Watch something feel-good: Whether it's your favorite YouTube channel, a funny or heartwarming movie (Parent Trap is my favorite!), or mindless reality TV (I'm on the most recent season of Love Island Australia), watching something is one of the easiest ways to lighten your mood. You can focus on something else for a while, and there's a good chance that it helps cheer you up along the way. 
  • Phone a friend: Listen, usually when I'm in a bad mood I do NOT want to reach out to anyone. Heck, even when I'm in a good mood I don't always want to talk to anyone. But trust me when I say that it will make you feel better. Even if you have to fake happy at first, odds are you'll leave the call feeling much better than you did beforehand. 
  • Browse memes: Non-COVID-related, if necessary. I love a good funny meme! If you have a friend that's always sharing funny memes with you (my brother is my source for all the best memes), ask them to send some your way. There are also a bunch of great meme/comedy accounts on Instagram. Some of my favorites are betches, fuckjerryinsta.single, grapejuiceboys, and crazybitchprobs_. I also love bennydrama7 and averagefashionblogger's videos on Instagram, they are both so clever and freaking hilarious! 
  • Do your makeup: If you wear makeup every day in the "real world," then chances are that wearing it even while at home all the time will help you feel much more human. I know that's the case for me, and even if I'm not seeing anyone all day, it makes me feel SO much better to put on a little makeup. Plus, just the process of doing your makeup can often help take your mind off other things. If you're killing time, try something fun and new. If you hate it, it doesn't matter because ya ain't going anywhere. If you love it, then you'll feel extra cute!
  • Shower: I'LL ADMIT IT: I hate showering. The whole process takes forever, and then you have to dry off and moisturize and get dressed... and I know I don't even have to START about the annoying process of washing hair. But once it's all said and done, I'm always glad I got it over with and feel much better. 
  • Cook/bake something: Only if you like cooking or baking, obviously. I love cooking and baking, and what makes them even better is that you get to eat when you're finished!
  • Retail therapy: Not the healthiest option, sure, but dang it does make me feel better, even if only briefly. Picking out a little something for yourself is self-care, end of story. You don't even necessarily have to buy something; even just browsing things online can inspire me to create new outfits with pieces that I already own. 
  • Do something crafty & repetitive: Emphasis on "repetitive," here. Having something tedious to focus on can really help you take your mind off of things that are bothering you. Coloring is a great option that everyone of any age can have fun doing, and there are so many fun adult coloring books available. I also LOVE cross stitching, which is easy to pick up, and makes a great gift or decoration when you're done. There are kits available online for any skill level or any magnitude of project (check Etsy for a good variety, I want to order this one to make a fun kitchen decoration). Painting your nails is another great option, I KNOW everyone's nails are in need of some TLC right now. 
  • Just know: This one sounds dumb, and it is. BUT, JUST KNOW that you'll feel better soon. When has that ever not been true? I'm a big believer in the phrase "everything will be okay in the end, and if it isn't okay, it isn't the end." It's much easier to tell someone that than to believe it yourself when you're in a funk, but again, just know. 

I hope you're doing well and hanging in there, and if you're in a funk like me, try some of my tips to ease out of it! We're all in this together, and I know everything will be back to normal sooner than it feels like it will be.

Have a great day and a great rest of your week, we're halfway to the weekend!

xoxx, Laura 

No comments