Easy Spring Dinner: Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms

Hey hey! Today I wanted to share an easy dinner recipe that I love making in the springtime when asparagus is in season. April is the PRIME month for finding Asparagus in season and at a great price at the grocery store, so I tend to prepare a lot of asparagus around this time.

Did you know that you can scavenge wild asparagus along the side of the road this time of year?? I had NO idea until last year when my boss mentioned riding around in his car to find it, so I asked my mom about it and she was all "oh yeah, it's all over the place if you know what to look for!" You learn something new every day! I've never done it myself, but with all of the stay-at-home boredom, you might find me out there looking to harvest my own fresh asparagus one day soon. 😂

Anyway, onto one of my favorite easy one-pan dinners: roasted asparagus and mushrooms! I know that mushrooms aren't everyone's fancy (I used to hate them) so if you're one of those people, you could used diced potatoes in this recipe in their place. Either way would be delicious! Since Kenny and I are vegetarians, we eat this meal as just two servings, but if you threw a protein in, you could stretch it to four servings as a side dish.


Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms

Adapted from Build Your Bite and One Pot Recipes
Serves 2-4

Ingredients

  • 16 oz white button mushrooms (or any combination of mushrooms that you like)
  • 1 lb asparagus
  • 1 t salt, divided
  • 1 t pepper, divided
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t dried thyme
  • 4 T olive oil, divided

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. 
  2. Wash and dry the mushrooms thoroughly. Wash the asparagus and cut off the tough, white ends of the stalks.
  3. Quarter the mushrooms and toss them in a bowl with 2 T oil, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Arrange them evenly on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven for 10 minutes. 
  4. While the mushrooms are in the oven, arrange the asparagus on the other cookie sheet. Drizzle them with the remaining 2 T of olive oil and sprinkle them with the remaining salt and pepper. Toss the asparagus to evenly coat all of the stalks. 
  5. When the mushrooms have been roasting for 10 minutes, toss them and return the pan to the oven. Add the pan of asparagus to the oven and roast it along with the mushrooms for another 10 minutes.

If you make this recipe, let me know! It's so delish and goes great with wine, just saying... I hope you have a great Wednesday! 

xoxx, Laura

No comments