2024 Savannah, GA Trip Recap

This post contains commissionable links.



Today I'm sharing a full recap of our recent trip to Savannah! I mentioned to Kenny in a text back in February that I missed Savannah, and like magic he booked us a weekend getaway as a surprise! This was our third trip, so we kept it low-key since we're familiar with the area (and definitely plan to come back sooner than later!) I recapped our first two trips in this post and this post. Read on for everything we did, where we stayed, and (most importantly) where we ate!

Hat (also here, here) | Sunglasses | Similar necklace | Swimsuit (my favorite!)

Before checking into our hotel (it was a little early by the time we got down there) we went straight to the beach at Tybee Island! Tybee is the cutest beach town, we absolutely love it. We had only spent a short time there on our last trip, so we were excited to spend more time there this time. SCAD (the local art and design university) was having a sandcastle competition that day and the beach was absolutely swamped! It was fun to people watch and see all of the sandcastles.
Walking the boardwalk!


Already missing our kitty cat!


 
After we left the beach, we stopped by one of our favorite spots, Huc-A-Poo's! It was a madhouse in there but they have the most fun vibe and good pizza. Tables are seat yourself, so we had to stalk around for table for a while but didn't have to wait too long. It is VERY casual in there - no shoes, no shirt, no problem. 😂 I was overdressed even in my casual outfit, and a man there jokingly informed me so. We got "the honkey" which was white pizza with garlic spread, basil, spinach, black olives, and red onions It was SO good! We met a really sweet group of girls while we were there and one of them was born and raised on Tybee Island, which was SO cool to me!


As we walked back to the car I noticed these plants - I was delighted to learn that Georgia along with many of the other southern states have native poinsettias, which I had never seen before!



We stayed at a new-to-us hotel, the East Bay Inn. We loved it there, and it's in a fantastic location - you can walk everywhere downtown from there. The only time we got into our car was to go to Tybee. The front desk staff was super nice and our room was beautiful - I LOVED those toile curtains! One "amenity" that was very convenient at this hotel is that they have  a parking garage on the same block just a quick walk away, and parking is included in the cost of your room so you're free to come and go and don't have to worry about paying for parking separately or finding somewhere far away to park.

Many of the more boutique hotels in Savannah are in historic warehouses that used to store things like wheat and cotton that was brought in on the river. Because of their age, they're a little drafty and creaky and the walls aren't very soundproof, but that's part of the charm! Something to note though because you have to expect those "cons" when choosing one of the historic hotels.

Another fun amenity of our hotel was that there's a bar called Tandem connected to it, which you can access right from the lobby! You get a ticket for a glass of wine or beer each day, so Kenny and I stopped by after checking in and getting freshened up to go back out.


Our tradition our first night in Savannah has been going to Tree House which is a rooftop bar in City Market. They always have a DJ and it's so fun to dance there! Something else I noticed this time was that there was a large range of ages there, not just young people (which is something I appreciate now that I'm almost 30 - coming from a college town, I don't want to be the oldest person at a bar. 😂) I've always met cool people there when we've gone, and there were a couple of different bachelorette parties there the night we went!


The next morning (after sleeping in!) we headed to one of our favorite spots, The Paris Market! It's a cafe and amazing store that sells all kids of home goods, accessories, fragrance, and tons of other beautiful things. Of course we got some coffees and pastries!


This is in the basement of Paris Market, so much home decor inspo!

Dress | Sandals

Sunglasses | Pearl necklace


After walking around downtown for a while and doing some shopping, we stopped for a drink at another favorite spot, The Grove. They have a great rooftop! I love their "champagne pop" cocktail which is simply champagne with a homemade popsicle stuck in it - so simple and refreshing, I have recreated it at home many times!


It was Kentucky Derby day, so there was so much going on in town! Most restaurants had bourbon-related events or were at least decorated, and there was lost of live music going on!



After walking around a little while more, we stopped by another favorite spot, the Myrtle and Rose rooftop bar. We accidentally seated ourselves when we were supposed to wait to get seated so we didn't really get service, but we got drinks from the bar. 😂



We were debating whether we wanted to go somewhere to watch the Derby that evening or go back to Tybee Island and do a dolphin-watching cruise, but we decided on Tybee! We stopped at a farm stand on the way there and met this SWEET kitty cat. 😍


We booked the dolphin tour through Captain Derek's and the price was comparable to other sunset tours we've done - it was about $38 per person.


Similar dress | Similar Bag | Candy necklaces 1, 2, 3 | Sunglasses




We had the BEST time on the dolphin tour, we are so glad we did it and I would highly recommend it! The tour guide was funny an informative, she taught us about the native dolphins as well as some local history. I didn't any great photos of dolphins, but oh my gosh I've never seen more dolphins in my life! They were EVERYWHERE! There was a shrimping boat that had come in and was surrounded by pelicans eating fish that they were throwing back out, and the dolphins seemed to be congregating around that area. 

On the way back to the dock, the captain got the boat going really fast so that there was a wake, and the dolphins got into the wake and followed behind us and jumped, that was SO cool! They told us that they like to do that because the wake pulls them along so they don't have to swim very hard.



We had to get a photo with a dolphin before we left. 😂


We asked for recommednations on where to go to dinner after the cruise and a couple of people recommended Bubba Gumbo's which is on the marina right near where Captain Derek's is, but they told us they were closing so we headed closer to the beach to try somewhere else.


We ended up at Fannie's where Kenny met a friend. 😂


I got a frozen lemonade and it was so refreshing! It gave me the worst brain freeze of my life though. 😂


We got the bangin' beach shrimp as an appetizer and it was one of our favorite things we ate on our trip! The sauce was amazing and the slaw underneath had wasabi dressing which was SO good.


For dinner I got the ahi tuna tacos which I didn't love because I didn't realize they came on corn tortillas and I don't like corn tortillas - I enjoyed the filling though! Kenny got a fried shrimp and oyster basket which he loved!






The next day we did a LOT of walking around and admiring all of the beautiful homes. Photos do NOT do them justice!

Dress | Sunglasses

I stopped at Franklin's at one point for a Bloody Mary - it was no-frills but very good! The mix was locally made and very flavorful. One thing I love about Savannah is that you can get to-go drinks anywhere and you're allowed to drink them while you walk!


One of Kenny's favorite stops in Savannah is Planet Fun, which is a toy store that sells a lot of vintage things. He loves finding things that he owned as a kid and it's so cute hearing him talk about the stuff he loved!


We had dinner reservations that night on the river, so we decided to go back to our hotel to take a little rest and change clothes before heading that way. I'm only sharing this photo because I got a frosé at Toast on the way and it was so good!


I had also stopped back at The Paris Market and picked up this perfume on a whim. I had sprayed it on earlier that day and thought it would be a fun souvenir from the trip! 


We had some time to kill before dinner and we were getting hungry (we literally hadn't eaten all day - I don't know why!) so we stopped by Top Deck which is another spot we've been before and liked. Savannah has no shortage of cool rooftop bars! We ordered the same thing as we did last time we visited - the truffle pretzel! I got the midnight sail cocktail (which I have had before and loved!) it has pear vodka, St. Germaine, lime juice, blue curacao, grenadine, and soda.

Similar dress | Sunglasses | Pearl necklace



Not sure why I opted for the "I'm engaged" pose here, apparently it felt right. 😂 (Bloody mary + frosé??)


We were both feeling silly, apparently. 😂


Our dinner reservations were at Vic's on the River (not to be confused with Vic's River Grill downstairs, which is where we went first and the hostess acted like most people accidentally end up there first. 😂) The vibe there was wonderful - it was relaxing but had a fun high-energy buzz in the air and they had good music playing.

I got the tile fish special which came with asparagus and polenta, and Kenny got fried shrimp. Clearly we enjoyed a lot of seafood on our trip! We were both vegetarians for several years, but now occasionally enjoy seafood when we're out to eat. Kenny's favorite part of the meal was the biscuits they served when we sat down!

After dinner we drove back to Tybee Island one last time and walked the beach which was absolutely magical - the beach is my favorite place on earth and at night I feel like it's just me and the universe out there!


The next day we were heading out, but stopped for brunch at Little Duck Diner, which is one of our favorites! It was the only real breakfast or lunch we ate the whole trip. 😂 I got the curry shrimp risotto stacker which might've been the best thing I ate the whole trip - the sauce on the shrimp was UNREAL and I want to try to recreate it at home! It came with a salad that had pickled vegetables which was also amazing. Kenny got French toast! I also got a strawberry bellini with a little duck!

Dress | Hat (also here, here) | Belt | Bag | Sandals (also here, here, here, here)

Before hitting the road, we took one more walk around Broughton and River Street - and got one more frosé! We had such a great trip and I miss it so much looking at these photos and reliving our time! We cannot wait to go back!

xoxx, Laura

No comments