Monty Update!


Today I'm popping in with a quick Monty update! I didn't think I had too many updates on Monty since my last post, but looking back on the photos I realize how much she's really changed - it feels like she's transitioned from a being a baby to a real cat! In case you missed my last post, my dad found a tiny abandoned kitten in the road several weeks ago, and my parents have since fallen completely in love with her and decided to keep her. She was about two weeks old at that time, and now she's between six and seven weeks old.



Firstly, YES she still gets cuter every single day! I thought she was cute when we found her, but she's even cuter now that she's started coming into her own. I joke that she's always the best dressed in any room because she's a tuxedo kitty!



It's crazy how much bigger she's gotten in the course of a few weeks! She weighed about seven ounces when my dad first found her, and now she's approaching two pounds. She's quadrupled in size, which doesn't feel possible because she's still so little!


One of the first new things I started noticing after my last update was that her claws started retracting. When kittens are very young, their claws are constantly out, and around four weeks old they retract and they begin to be able to control them. She can pretty much fully control them now, and I trimmed them for her last weekend! I've trimmed my cat's nails since we got her and it's really easy once they get used to it, so I wanted to get Monty started with it young so it wouldn't bother her. She was fine the whole time, she just thought we were playing!



Monty has become the typical curious kitten and loves exploring. There was a brief period of time where she fit under the oven and loved running back there, but it wasn't long before she outgrew it! Now she loves running under the couch and squeezing between the cushions. I was house-sitting at my parents' last weekend and couldn't find her ANYWHERE as I was about to go to bed, but I knew she was in the room somewhere! Then Kenny found her snoozing in a basket, and I don't even know how she got in there. 😂 She's also fully capable of climbing up onto the couch or bed, even thought they're many times her height! She learned how to climb the stairs too, although she's still a bit too afraid to go all the way back down.



Monty's next major development has been her teeth! She has all of her teeth now, and they're so dang cute. She's a little bitey when she plays, but I let her get a little rough because she doesn't have any siblings to play with!



Speaking of playing, she loves to play now! Anything that moves or dangles is her prey, and she's so cute when she attacks things.


The couch has become pretty much her favorite place ever since she learned how to climb up on it, and she loves the fuzzy blanket you see her with in a lot of these photos! Any time we can't find her, chances are she's just snoozing on the couch. Whenever she has to be left alone in the house for a while, she's always there when you come back! She likes climbing up onto the back because she can see out the window and into the yard. Speaking of the yard, my mom has taken her outside a few times and she's always kind of freaked out at first, but she catches sight of a leaf and starts running around and playing in no time. 

 


Her eyes have begun changing colors, too! My mom and I had assumed that they would turn a shade of green or gold like most cats' do, but they've stayed a shade of blue-gray up until now. Apparently kittens' eyes don't get done changing until around the ten week mark, so we'll see what color they end up being!


Monty has also had a diet upgrade over the past few weeks. We've begun feeding her a fancy concoction of wet food, formula, and dry kibble (warmed up, because she's fancy), and she's been loving it! We've been incorporating more and more dry food to get her switched over to that in the coming weeks. She's also gotten litter trained since I last posted about her! The litter training process couldn't have been easier, my mom basically just helped her go to the bathroom in the litter box for a few days and it just clicked, and she hasn't missed a beat since.


I got Monty her first "real" toy last weekend (a ball track), which she LOVES! Her favorite toy, though, has been shoes - she's partial to Birkenstocks. 😂


I sent this picture of Monty in my parents' dog, Riley's, bowl to my dad while my parents were away last weekend, and he said "Ah my favorite, catcciatore!" 😂 We've found her hanging out in there a few times since, and luckily the dog hasn't eaten her yet. I have high hopes of Monty and Riley becoming best friends, but Riley has been a bit apprehensive so far. I have faith that he'll come around!


That's all I've got on Monty for now! I'm sure I'll be back with more updates, but in the meantime you can follow along on Insta stories because she does something cute that I just have to share pretty much every day!


xoxx, Laura 😸

No comments