Happy Hour: Ultimate Large-Batch Bloody Mary Mix

Step aside mimosas, the ultimate brunch cocktail is here. I know that Bloody Marys are a very polarizing drink, but I'm #TeamBloody and those of you who agree are my kind of people.

Bloody Marys have become a holiday tradition in my family. Every year the weekend before Christmas, we get together with a bunch of community members at our local Elks lodge to pack up over 360 boxes of food to distribute to needy families in the area. We pack the boxes up on Friday evening and early Saturday morning, and then break out into groups to distribute them on Saturday morning. After all the boxes have been distributed, everyone reconvenes at the lodge for lunch (the EARLY risers [not me] also meet there for breakfast beforehand) and my dad always provides Bloody Mary mix.

My dad and I have customized and perfected the mix recipe over the years to the point where it's darn near perfect in my opinion. This recipe isn't for the faint of heart, it's got it all: horseradish, Old Bay, hot sauce... So if you're not into that then you can just get the heck off my blog. Just kidding, you can stay, I promise not everything I post is this polarizing.

P.S. Sorry about the janky photo, you know how it is once the drinks start flowing. Also peep my shirt from Wednesday's post, seriously SO fun to wear. 


Ingredients

  • 46 oz tomato juice 
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 3T Worcestershire sauce
  • 3T horseradish 
  • 24 shakes of Tobasco hot sauce
  • 3T pickle juice (I swear by Claussen)
  • 3T banana pepper or pepperoncini juice
  • 2t celery salt
  • 3t Old Bay seasoning
  • 2t ground black pepper
  • 2t garlic powder
  • Vodka (whatever your favorite is)

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust ingredients to taste.
  2. Transfer mix into a pitcher, or back into the tomato juice bottle. (If you transfer it back into the original bottle, it won't all fit since you've added to it. I like to call that the "bartender's serving." Drink it right away, or store it for later if you're lame.)
  3. Serve in glasses over ice with your desired amount of vodka (the more the merrier). Garnish with celery stalks, pickles, olives, bacon, lemon/lime wedges...  pretty much anything, the possibilities are endless.

I hope you have a great weekend! Mine's gonna be full of finishing up baking cookies for the luncheon after food box delivery tomorrow, and all of that packing and distribution of course. It's hands down my favorite holiday tradition, and something that my family loves being a part of every year!

xoxx, Laura

No comments