Products I Always Keep Backups Of

Today I'm taking you inside my linen closet, which is actually my linen/candle/product backups closet. As a Virgo and and a former Girl Scout, I live by the phrase "be prepared." Hence, the product backups closet. When I find a favorite product, I tend to stick to that product and ONLY that product, and never be without it. With all my tried-and-true products, I like to always have a backup in stock.

In the case of most of these products, I buy them when I catch them on sale and just stash them til I need them. I love finding a good deal, especially on something I would've bought anyway. These are all products that I've used and loved for years, so clearly I recommend all of them.

Just a reminder - the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is now open to the public through August 30th! I have all my favorites linked in this post and on the LIKEtoKNOW.it app (which you can also access from a browser).


Cetaphil body lotion: I'm at that point in my life where half the time I'm realizing that my mom was usually right about everything, and half the time I'm realizing how much I'm truly turning into my parents. This is the perfect illustration of that. Growing up, this is the only body lotion my mom used so I just kind of inherited it into my skincare repertoire. It's no-nonsense, lightweight, and fragrance free. You're supposed to be able to use it on your face too, but I've never done that (I have used their facial moisturizer with SPF, though!) You can get the best deal on it at Costco.


Lano 101 ointment: This is my FAVORITE product. Like, of all products. I'm a lip balm fanatic and this one is the best of the best. I never thought I'd be someone who would gladly pay two figures for a lip balm, but here I am. It's super thick which turns some people off, but it's SO moisturizing and lasts forever (it's especially great for overnight). I just stocked up on backups of this baby because they're currently buy two get one free at Ulta, and you can add their regular store coupons on top of that deal.


Shea Moisture body wash: I wanted to bolster my moisturizing routine by adding in a body wash that wasn't stripping, and added a little extra moisture to the skin. It's very liquidy and doesn't lather very much so there's a bit of a learning curve if you're used to soapy sudsy body washes, but it feels great on the skin and I feel good using it knowing that it's made with clean ingredients. 


Self tanner: One thing you definitely do NOT want to run out of halfway through an application is self tanner. I've dabbled in the high-end self tanner market, but for as fast as they all fade, I'm perfectly fine using one from the drugstore. The Jergens Instant Sun and L'Oreal Water Mousse are my favorites, both require two coats but they get the job done without having to spend $40+.


Thayers witch hazel toner: I didn't know I needed a toner until I started using this one. It's very gentle and comes in several different scents. Health food stores sell it, and it's usually cheaper there than at Target or Ulta.


Mascaras: These are my two ride-or-die mascaras, I don't have a desire to ever own any others. I get compliments on my eyelashes all the time, and it's mostly due to these guys. I use L'Oreal Lash Paradise for my top lashes and it's the best, I'm convinced you could put it in the packaging of a luxury brand and people would pay $35 for it. I use L'Oreal Telescopic for my bottom lashes exclusively since the brush is so thin and precise.

 
Eye makeup remover: If you wear a lot of eye makeup like I do (especially mascara), then you need a good eye make up remover. Although both of these state that they're oil-free and leave no oily residue, they are relatively oily feeling and do leave a bit of residue, but I think you need that if you really want to dissolve everything. The Neutrogena version was my original favorite, but after trying a few generic versions I determined the Target "dupe" gets the job done as well. (Do NOT try the Walmart version, it's not similar and doesn't work nearly as well.)


Mini sponges: I usually keep a handful of these around, but ESPECIALLY now that I have Roxy because she never fails to fish one out of my makeup bag when I'm at work and get it lost somewhere in the house! I use these for undereye concealer and to conceal blemishes.


Concealer: I use two different concealers for two different purposes: I use the Maybelline Fit Me concealer to prime my eyelids, and the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer under my eyes. They're both bestsellers, but I've found those purposes work best for me. I use the lightest shade of each because I'm definitely among the palest people you've ever known.


Shower caps: If you go multiple days between hair washes, then you NEED to be wearing a shower cap when you shower! I only wash my hair once a week, so all of the days that I don't wash it, I protect it in the shower with a cap. You might FEEL 80, but it helps your hair look cleaner longer by preventing it from getting unnecessarily wet. I get a pack of inexpensive ones because they get gross after a while, so I can just toss the old one and grab a new one.


It's a 10 leave-in: While this stuff is totally unnecessary, I just love it! I only wash my hair once a week, so it's nice to give it a little something extra after a wash to keep it nice and conditioned all week. It also smells great, Kenny always tells me my hair smells good after I use it. I once bought the large 10oz bottle because it's a better value than the 4oz one, but I found it so hard to press the little sprayer down while holding the big bottle! Just something to keep in mind if you have weak little hands like me, ha.


Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging shampoo and conditioner: This has been my favorite shampoo and conditioner for years, I started using it when I had some leftover damage from ombre-ing my hair and I really think it helped restore my ends and give my hair life. It's EXPENSIVE, but I make sure to only buy it when it's on sale (Ulta runs promos on it a few times a year), plus since I only wash my hair once a week, it's easier to justify the price.


Batiste dry shampoo: Allow me to mention one final time: I ONLY WASH MY HAIR ONCE A WEEK. I've been doing that for five or six years now, so I actually have it trained enough that I usually don't even need dry shampoo between washes, but when I do, this is all I use. It's also nice to use to add some extra volume on the last couple of days before a wash. I love the tropical scent; do NOT get the original scent. Freakin powdery-smelling atrocity.

Happy weekend!

xoxx, Laura


No comments