Styling a Statement Coat

Happy Fridaaaaaaaay! WHEW, it's been a long week. But to make up for it, I have ALL of next week off which is so nice, one of the great perks of working for a school!

Coat | Dress | Boots | LV Speedy Bandouliere 30
Today I'm talking about how to style a statement coat. I think that statement coats are SO fun, but not necessarily always the most "practical" compared to their neutral kin. BUT, sometimes you just can't resist a fun color or pattern! When styling a statement coat, the key is to keep the rest of the outfit toned down. The pattern in this coat contains ivory, black, gray, burgundy, and camel, so it has the potential to be paired with a lot of different things.

Just because something is a statement piece doesn't mean it can't be versatile; I'm all about versatility in my closet, so I mentally styled this coat several different ways before buying it. I'm also planning on styling it over black pieces, and with jeans and a white sweater. I also have a burgundy skirt that it'll look great with. See? Versatile!


With this outfit, I kept it simple with a burgundy dress and camel boots. It was so easy to throw together, but I felt put together and even "expensive" all day.


One of the best things about statement coats is that they bring interest to your outfit on days where you're bundled up and not going to be removing your coat often. I wore this outfit on a day when Kenny I were walking around outside a lot and visiting an outdoor mall. Since I never really took my coat off, it served as a key element in my outfit rather than just an outer layer. 


I think this outfit would be SO cute for Thanksgiving, but it wouldn't work well at an indoor-gathering because all of the women in my family would be like "we're indoors, why don't you take your coat off?" Ha!


I hope you have a great weekend! Kenny and I are keeping it low key this weekend, I'm hoping to get the rest of our Christmas decorations up (who am I?? I've NEVER been the person who decorates before Thanksgiving!) and get a date night in. I think Kenny and I are gonna watch Frozen tonight in preparation to see Frozen 2. I'm not a Disney fanatic or the kind of person that cares about current kids movies, and I was SO against the Frozen craze when it first exploded because it felt like you couldn't escape it! Kenny used to make fun of me for it and would get me Frozen-themed gifts as jokes. Then he finally made me watch it one day and its actually super cute, so clearly we have to watch the new one too. I'm already feeling relaxed in anticipation of my week off, I hope you get some time off surrounding Thanksgiving too!

xoxx, Laura

No comments