Happy Hour: The Poinsettia

Happy Wednesday, and Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow if you're celebrating! Today I'm sharing one of my favorite holiday cocktails. It's easy, fresh, prosecco-based, and features a couple of my favorite winter fruits, oranges and cranberries. Bubbly just screams "celebration," and this drink is a fun twist on plain ole' prosecco. It would also be a gorgeous featured cocktail for a winter wedding!

I'm coming prepared to party at family Thanksgiving this year... Trader Joe's sells a 1.5 liter bottle of prosecco - that's twice the size of an average bottle! I saw it when I stopped in this weekend and it was so comically huge that I had to get it. If you're near a Trader Joe's and you consider prosecco a celebration staple, you have to get a bottle. It's only $13 so we'll see how good it is, but TJ's rarely disappoints!

An important element of this cocktail is champagne flutes. Since it doesn't have ice and isn't shaken, you want your drink to remain cold for as long as possible. If you remember, you can place your glasses in the freezer a few hours before you plan on serving up your drinks. Or, if the party gets started simultaneously, you can fill the glasses with a few pieces of ice and let them sit while you prepare all of the ingredients. Ina Garten voice: How easy is that??

Ingredients

  • 1/2 oz citrus vodka (I like Absolut Citron or Grey Goose Le Citron)
  • 1/2 oz Triple Sec
  • 1 oz 100% cranberry juice
  • Prosecco
  • Cranberries and orange slices to garnish

Instructions

  1. Add vodka, Triple Sec, and cranberry juice to a chilled champagne flute.
  2. Top with prosecco and stir gently to combine.
  3. Garnish with a few cranberries and an orange slice.

Be warned... these things are strong. I know what you're thinking; "Yeah OKAY, how could a cute little sparkling cocktail be that bad?" JUST TRUST ME. The only time I've gotten too drunk to function it was on one too many poinsettias at a football tailgate. I can't believe I just admitted that. Don't tell anyone.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! I'll be pregaming with these babies, family gatherings seem so much more fun when there’s alcohol involved, don’t you think? 😂

xoxx, Laura

No comments