A Very Tartan Christmas

It's OFFICIALLY after Thanksgiving which means it's OFFICIALLY time to decorate for Christmas (that is, if you haven't already... I see some of you hasty decorators out there)... ALRIGHT, I admit it, I was a premature decorator this year. I don't know what got into me, I have NEVER been one to embrace the Christmas spirit before Thanksgiving before. Yet here I am, more or less fully decorated for Christmas. I feel like it's in part because Kenny are in our first home together and I wanted to make sure that I had everything covered to decorate by the time December hit. Then I just couldn't wait by the time I got everything!

There are SO many beautiful Christmas decor themes these days. From rustic to rose gold, glittery to neutral, how could one decide which one to use in their home?? Personally, I'm a fan of having one cohesive 'theme' throughout an entire home, but I also love the idea of switching it up from room to room.

When decorating for my own home, I would describe my preferred style as "traditional plaid." Basically what I would imagine Ralph Lauren's home to look like during the holidays. While I don't quite have the eye (or frankly, the budget) to deck my halls a la Ralph, I can sum my theme up into one word: PLAID. Tartan plaid, to be more specific. Today I'm sharing some of my favorite plaid holiday inspo that I'm channeling to decorate this season.

Image via
Tartan plaid and faux fur, what a cozy combo! Throw pillows and blankets are some of the easiest and quickest way to add holiday flair to your home without going over the top. 

Image via
Why match when you can MIX and match? As indecisive as I am, I love the idea of getting a combination of different plaid-printed stockings to hang.

Image via
I love the look of weaving ribbon into Christmas trees, and since this is my first year with my own full-sized tree, I can finally do it! I want to keep my tree traditional and classic - with red, green, gold, and of course, tartan!

Image via
I'm so excited to have my bar cart decked for Christmas! I love the idea of hanging a seasonal dish towel from it to add a little pop of holiday cheer. Does an extra bottle of champagne count as holiday decor too?? I say yes.

Image via
Growing up, my mom always hung live garland down the handrail in our house. I love the look of adding lights and plaid ribbon! I don't have indoor stairs in my apartment currently, so I might take my inspiration to my parents' house to spice up their usual garland.

Image via
If you're a female, then you know that seasonal throw pillows are a need, NOT a want. Christmas is no exception, and plaid pillows are obviously my first pick when ravaging the TJ Maxx pillow department. I get my pillow obsession honest, my mom has a throw pillow PROBLEM much to my dad's dismay, haha.

Image via
How pretty is this tablescape? I think the bench on one side is just gorgeous (and hello, space for more pillows), and the lantern adds a cozy, rustic-without-being-RUSTIC feel.

Image via
This is just darling, I wish I had holiday parties  to host to use this idea at place settings! My mom is the queen of tablescapes, and I know she'd love this idea too.

Image via
As if I needed an excuse to to buy any more mugs... plaid Christmas mugs.

Image via
If I could only have one type of seasonal decor, it would be throw pillows. They're cute, comfy, and add a cute pop of seasonal cheer to any space.

Image via
CHRISTMAS BEDDING. Is there anything cuter?? While I don't have the space to store a whole extra set of seasonal bedding, I WISH I could! I'll have to settle for the throw pillows for now...

Image via
I definitely want to do something like this! I have some lanterns that we decorated with at the wedding that I kept for home decor, and my mom is really good at making fancy bows like this one.

Image via
And I'll leave you on, YES, more one last throw blanket/pillow photo. 

After gathering ample inspiration, I got a hold of quite a few pretty tartan pieces to incorporate into my holiday decor. I wanted to share my favorites so far!


  1. Throw blanket: If you haven't already learned, I love a good throw blanket. While I'm usually a stickler for practicality, this is one case when I'll get something just because it's pretty. I can always find somewhere to throw a throw! 
  2. Mug: I know I'm not alone in saying that I have a hard time resisting a cute mug when I find one. This one is currently on sale for $6 though, so it's basically a need! 
  3. Hand towels: These are practical and pretty! I got one to hang on the handle of my bar cart, and another to use in the kitchen. 
  4. Runner: This is one of my favorite plaid things I've gotten for the season! It's beautiful on my kitchen table, and adds just the right pop of plaid to the room. 
  5. Coasters: Coasters are a MUST in a Virgo-run household, and these are just too cute for Christmastime. 
  6. Throw pillow: Before you click the link and think you need to call 911 because I've spent in excess of $200 on a throw pillow, HEAR ME OUT. TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods have these pillows for $30-$40 each year and while that's still a little pricey for a seasonal throw pillow, these are an investment you'll use for years. The covers are removable for easy washing, and the inserts are luxurious down. Buy well, buy once. 
  7. Ribbon: Like Frank's Red Hot, I put this sh*t on everything. Seriously, trees, wreaths, lanterns, doorknobs, gifts... EVERYTHING. 
  8. Tree skirt: I know that tree collars have become all the rage, but I'm still team tree skirt. I like that this one is simple with no trim, and you can customize it with embroidery! 

If that's about all the plaid that you can handle for one day, then I'm right there with you. I'm gonna drink my coffee, kick back on my million throw pillows, and enjoy my prematurely-decked plaid wonderland. Cheers!

xoxx, Laura

No comments