White Bean, Quinoa, and Kale Soup

 
Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing my adaptation of my most-made soup recipe, and one of my very favorite recipes in general. 
 
The recipe originally came from Health.com, but they recently removed it from their site - thankfully I had a hard copy saved, or I don't know what I'd do without this soup! I actually had some of you comment on a previous post that I had included this recipe on asking if I had a copy after the original one was removed, and luckily I did so I can make it available to the world once again! I will mention that this is a slight adaptation from the original recipe, but it still contains all of the original ingredients and you can tweak it to your liking as well.
 
This soup makes the perfect wintertime dinner - not only is it hearty and delicious, but it's rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

White Bean, Quinoa, and Kale Soup

Adapted from Health.com

Ingredients 

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 white onion, diced 
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 2 carrots, diced 
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin 
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth 
  • 2-4 cups thinly sliced kale (I use 4)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed 
  • Parmesan cheese, to garnish (optional)
  • Crusty bread, for serving (optional)


Directions

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. 
  3. Stir in beans, cumin, oregano, and salt; cook, stirring often, until toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. 
  4. Add broth and increase heat to high. Once the soup comes to a boil, stir in the quinoa and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. 
  5. Stir in kale and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
  6. Serve with crusty bread and and garnish with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. 


I hope you have a fabulous weekend! The weather here has been all over the place for the past few weeks, and it's supposed to get colder than it has been this weekend, so this soup would be the perfect thing to make!
 

xoxx, Laura

1 comment

  1. I’m so glad you saved this recipe before they took it down! I’ve made it before and it’s delish! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete