This post contains commisisonable links.
![]() |
| Dress | Sweater | Sandals (also here, here) |
Hi my friends! Long time no see! I hope you've been having an incredible summer - I sure have! Today I'm sharing an outfit that has become somewhat of a weekend uniform for me this season. I have been loving halter dresses lately, and added a couple to my closet this summer. Most of the looks I share on the blog are made up of pieces that I can also wear to work because I have a fairly lenient dress code at my office, but this dress is something that I wouldn't wear to work, so I try to get as much wear out of it as I can when I'm off! The night I took these photos I had been to a potluck picnic - isn't a gingham dress the perfect picnic outfit??
It's true to size, but I sized down to an XS because the black was sold out in my usual small when I ordered it. It fits just fine, so you could size down if you have a smaller chest like me because the back is smocked and the halter neck is self-tie so you can adjust it. It came in a few other colors when I ordered it, but now it's available in a bunch more! I also appreciate that it's 70% cotton, I probably wouldn't have given it a try if it was 100% synthetic.
How sweet is this little summer vignette? I pass it every day on my way to work this time of year, and I had to finally get a photo of it. The abundance of flowers blooming from every crack and crevice this time of year bring me so much joy!
Speaking of flowers, the Rockingham County Fair is this week which is always so fun and nostalgic for me. It was always the last hurrah of summer before school started back up, so it still feels bittersweet in a way. Growing up, my grandparents always planted a vegetable and flower garden with my brother and me (well, really they did most of the work and let us claim part-ownership). At the end of the summer, we would enter flowers and vegetables into the fair. It was so much fun and gave us such a sense of accomplishment to see what we won! We would also enter arts and crafts and I did baked goods for a few years. Years later, my brother now lives in my grandparents' old house and he and his girlfriend plant a garden on that same plot. He even fixed up my granddad's old Farmall tractor to till and plow the soil with! Every summer with that garden feels like it could be the last because I'm not sure how long he'll live there, so I never take it for granted.
I insisted his girlfriend start entering her flowers because they're so beautiful and it's always so much fun to see what wins! My mom still enters plants from her yard too (partially at my insistence - basically I make everyone enter stuff so I can participate because I don't have a flower garden of my own 😂). I try to help her as much as I can with the entry process because her still doing it is nostalgic for me and I couldn't miss it!
Yesterday, my parents and I went to the fair to see what the flowers won and make the rounds, and Kenny, my brother, his girlfriend, and I are going back tomorrow to go to the rodeo. I love the rodeo but it does make me cringe seeing the guys get thrown off!
Have a great rest of your week - I hope to be back soon with my yearly "Outer Banks scrapbook" post! I've been slacking on getting the photos edited! A little behind-the-scenes on how I get photos onto my blog, I have to edit any iPhone photos to change the format from HEIC to JPEG or PNG because my blog does not support HEIC format, and that's the format phone photos are taken in. There may be an easier way, but I just edit my photos in the Lightroom app and export them from there, which allows me to add them to my website in a supported format. When I have a post that's going to be photo-heavy like trip recaps, it can feel overwhelming to sit down and edit every single one just so that it's compatible with the blog, so sometimes I procrastinate. Blah, blah, blah, right? I don't know why I'm so chatty today, but I hope to be back soon to chat some more!
xoxx, Laura




No comments