Happy Hour: Two Chambord Cocktails

Happy Friday, and happy Easter weekend! I haven't done a Happy Hour post in a while, so today I'm coming at you with two different recipes; one I loved, and one I didn't.

I was in the mood to play with something new after using and abusing St. Germain for several weeks, so I picked up a bottle of Chambord black raspberry liqueur after seeing this recipe for a French martini. The recipe is simple and looked really good, so I researched some more Chambord cocktail recipes to find some others I'd be interested in making, especially with spring in the air and berry season on the way. That's when I came across this recipe for a "bramble" cocktail, which is gin-based and has fresh lemon juice, two of my favorite things in a cocktail!

First, I tried the French martini recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 oz vodka (I used Absolut Citron)
  • 1 oz Chambord
  • 2 oz pineapple juice
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake for about 30 seconds to create foam. Strain into a chilled martini or coupe glass, and give the cocktail shaker a few hard shakes at the end to make sure that all the foam comes out.


Overall, this drink was good, but I don't know that I'd make it again. The pineapple juice made it too sweet for my taste (drinks tend to become too sweet for me very quickly), so I didn't absolutely love this one. However, if you're a fruity cocktail lover, you'd really enjoy this one! P.S. I wasn't so worried about having all the foam like the original recipe calls for, so I just shook it until the cocktail shaker got frosty.

Next, I tried the bramble recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 2 oz gin (Hendrick's is my favorite)
  • Juice from half of a large lemon
  • 2 tsp honey*
  • 1/2 oz Chambord
Directions:

Combine gin, lemon juice, and honey in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake until frost begins to form on the outside of the shaker. Strain into an Old Fashioned glass (or a stemless wine glass if you're feeling rebellious) over ice. Lace over the top with the Chambord. The Chambord will sink to the bottom, creating a beautiful gradient effect.

*The original recipe called for simple syrup, but I forgot to make some ahead of time so I used honey, which ended up being really tasty.


I'll be honest, I didn't know how much I'd like this one because I was afraid it'd be too strong. Boy was I wrong! This was so refreshing and delicious, and not to mention beautiful with the layered effect that lacing the Chambord over the top created. It would've been even cuter with a garnish (and using the correct type of glass, cough), and if I were serving these for a crowd (maybe for Easter brunch??), I'd definitely add some blackberries and lemon slices. This one is definitely making it into my regular rotation, especially for the summer when berries are in season!

I hope you have a great Easter weekend! My parents are hosting the family for lunch on Sunday, and I'm trying to twist my brother's arm to come home from college for the weekend (maybe I can bribe him with cocktails 😉).

I want to make a carrot cake, but I also created a recipe for carrot cake cinnamon rolls last year that turned out SO well, so I might make those too. If there was ever a weekend for carrot cake overload, it's Easter, right?! If I end up making the cinnamon rolls I'll take photos and post the recipe because TRUST ME, you're gonna want it.

Let me know if you make either of these cocktails, I think that they're both worthy contenders for serving to the family depending on your tastes!

xoxx, Laura

No comments